The Student Room Group

Quoting inappropriate language in essay?

I submitted an exam essay a few weeks ago writing about ‘Wedding Day’ by Gwendolyn Bennett in Fire Magazine. As this was published in the 1920s, a lot of the views and language is no longer politically correct, including their use of the n word. In my essay, I included a few different quotes which used this word, and I didn’t censor it (I quoted the word rather than saying n**ger or n word). At the time, I didn’t think this would be a problem since I was quoting the source material directly, but now I’m really worried that I’ll be penalised for using this inappropriate language in my essay. Just want to add, the n word isn’t something that I tolerate at all and I never say it. Please help, I’m freaking out!!
Original post by lizalien106
I submitted an exam essay a few weeks ago writing about ‘Wedding Day’ by Gwendolyn Bennett in Fire Magazine. As this was published in the 1920s, a lot of the views and language is no longer politically correct, including their use of the n word. In my essay, I included a few different quotes which used this word, and I didn’t censor it (I quoted the word rather than saying n**ger or n word). At the time, I didn’t think this would be a problem since I was quoting the source material directly, but now I’m really worried that I’ll be penalised for using this inappropriate language in my essay. Just want to add, the n word isn’t something that I tolerate at all and I never say it. Please help, I’m freaking out!!

If you just used it in quotes, you should be fine. They expect accuracy in quotes so if you've it's had inappropriate language, that's not your fault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending