Connectionpoints
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The walls in my accomodation are paper thin and the door to my room has a sizeable gap underneath it meaning that I can hear almost everything. This is an issue because for weeks now I've had people going down the hall making a racket at 3-4am because they've had too much to drink and when I'm trying to sleep I can hear people talking loudly and laughing in the kitchen all the way through the night. I've asked them to be quiet several times but they will only keep quiet for a few minutes then get straight back into it.

I want a way to soundproof my room but the only issue is I'm not allowed adhesive on the painted walls as it can stain the paint. Any suggestions?
AKK423
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connectionpoints)
The walls in my accomodation are paper thin and the door to my room has a sizeable gap underneath it meaning that I can hear almost everything. This is an issue because for weeks now I've had people going down the hall making a racket at 3-4am because they've had too much to drink and when I'm trying to sleep I can hear people talking loudly and laughing in the kitchen all the way through the night. I've asked them to be quiet several times but they will only keep quiet for a few minutes then get straight back into it.

I want a way to soundproof my room but the only issue is I'm not allowed adhesive on the painted walls as it can stain the paint. Any suggestions?
Hang up thick picture frames/portraits.
You could rearrange the furniture you don't use at night and put it flush next to the noisiest walls.
A rug on the floor will also assist in soundproofing.
Similarly, something on the ceiling to cover it would be useful.

Look into white and brown noise as they may be able to effectively distract you from your housemates while also fading out of your focus. May even relax you a bit, maybe help with studying or sleeping.

Easiest way is to just get some earmuffs or noise-cancelling headphones though.

https://www.snoringsource.com/how-to...f-a-dorm-room/
All I did was rewrite this article. No credit to me.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connectionpoints)

Door snake, but wont help much.
Ear plugs or defenders really.
You could ask to be moved if its really bad as there should be a clause in the agreement about noise.
Not sure therews much merit in reporting students unless its specific ones.
You cvould stick some anonymous notices up telling those in the kitchen to eb aware people are trying to sleep after x time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (247)
57.31%
I don't have everything I need (184)
42.69%

Watched Threads