Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I understand that velocity is speed in a given direction and it is the measures the rate of change of displacement but i don't get the following:
    if a runner is completing one lap of a race at steady speed his avreage velocity is 0 and final displacement is 0
    a racing car in a race average velocity is 0 and final displacement is 0?

Average Velocity 0? Displacement I know would be 0 since he's right back where he started.. You've confused me.. maybe I'm just dumb.

ReputationRep:
    as velocity is related to direction, imagine the runner is going around a circle. he travels in every direction, at every bearing, just once. and opposite directions will cancel each other out, making the total, and in turn the average, velocity as zero....

ReputationRep:
    Half the race he runs away from his starting position, the other half he runs towards it. So average velocity is zero.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine a very simple track, in which the runner runs one length and then turns around and runs back. the velocity on the way there is v m/s, and on the way back the velocity is -v m/s, as the direction is the opposite way, so the velocity is negative. So v and -v cancel out to leave average velocity 0

ReputationRep:
    thank you every1 i think i get it now x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panjabiflower)
    thank you every1 i think i get it now x
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    btw i hv this question saying 'how is it that an object moving in a circular path at constant speed does not have constant velocity' do i just explain how the average velocity will be 0 and explain how the opp directions cancel each other out?

ReputationRep:
    btw i hv this question saying 'how is it that an object moving in a circular path at constant speed does not have constant velocity' do i just explain how the average velocity will be 0 and explain how the opp directions cancel each other out?
    As the object is moving in a circle, its direction of motion, and hence its velocity, is constantly changing, even though its speed remains constant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonofdot)
    As the object is moving in a circle, its direction of motion, and hence its velocity, is constantly changing, even though its speed remains constant
    so is its average velocity 0?

ReputationRep:
    so is its average velocity 0?
    yes, but that alone wouldn't answer the original question of why the velocity changes even though the speed is constant

ReputationRep:
    At any one point, the velocity will not be zero (unless at that point the runner stops or changes direction). Average velocity is only zero within a given time interval if you have zero displacement after the time interval, even if during your velocity was changing. So the average velocity of the runner AFTER completing a lap is zero. At any other time during it would not be zero.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 20, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.