Lagom321321
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For AS I achieved BCC and I aspire to study biochemistry however my predicted grades are the same as my AS and I am struggling what to do, I really got screwed over by not taking any exams( I got all 9s and 2 8s in GCSE)
I have resitted bio and maths ( what I got a c in ) and I think I could achieve a ABB with a lot of hard work
Could u apply to a BBB university and would I get an offer, or should I apply for a science foundation year because not many universities have low biochem or should I wait and rely on adjustment if I exceed my grades. THANK YOU
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lagom321321)
For AS I achieved BCC and I aspire to study biochemistry however my predicted grades are the same as my AS and I am struggling what to do, I really got screwed over by not taking any exams( I got all 9s and 2 8s in GCSE)
I have resitted bio and maths ( what I got a c in ) and I think I could achieve a ABB with a lot of hard work
Could u apply to a BBB university and would I get an offer, or should I apply for a science foundation year because not many universities have low biochem or should I wait and rely on adjustment if I exceed my grades. THANK YOU
Quite a few unis require BBB for Biochemistry so I would apply mainly to BBB unis, with a couple of BBC/BCC unis as Insurance.

You are still quite likely to receive offers if you are predicted BCC and could potentially trade up in Adjustment if you wanted to as long as you get ABB in the exams.
si-maliit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya!

I think it completely depends on the Unis you apply to and how flexible they are, especially as your course is biochem. For example, Leicester is known to give many aspiring offers to those who do not reach the entry requirements. You can do research around your Unis; there are many threads if you search ‘X Uni grade leniency / offer leniency’ or you can google search their acceptance rate to get an idea. But ultimately, I would 100% recommend emailing the admissions offices of your Unis to receive some advice.

That’s what I ended up doing, sending them something along the lines of ‘I am aware that your entry requirements are XXX however my predicteds are XXX. Prior to knowing my predicteds I was set on firming with your institution. On that note, would it be a waste of one of my five options to apply here? Would I still be fully considered?’ If you want, you could mention your GCSE grades too as they’re very strong (congrats btw ah) and would give them better context of your academic ability so they could give you a more accurate response.

They will be brutally honest with you because they are firstly aware of our limited choices and quite frankly, they would not want to waste time receiving an applicant that was never going to have much of a chance anyways.

I’d also email about whether you would be allowed to re-apply to the same course at the same Uni through adjustment if you were rejected in the main cycle as I know that sometimes Unis don’t allow re-applying through clearing. I don’t know if that’s the case for adjustment though? I only asked about clearing lol. So I’d double check. Of course, I hope rejection in the first cycle will not happen to you but it’s always better to be safe and aware!

Other than that, good luck! I don’t think it would be as bad since you’re not too far off the standard entry requirements☺️
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by si-maliit)
I’d also email about whether you would be allowed to re-apply to the same course at the same Uni through adjustment if you were rejected in the main cycle as I know that sometimes Unis don’t allow re-applying through clearing. I don’t know if that’s the case for adjustment though? I only asked about clearing lol. So I’d double check. Of course, I hope rejection in the first cycle will not happen to you but it’s always better to be safe and aware!
What uni doesn't allow reapplying through Clearing if you get better grades than predicted? I have never heard of that based on grades, only maybe if someone is deemed unsuitable for a vocational course like medicine or social work.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Quite a few unis require BBB for Biochemistry so I would apply mainly to BBB unis, with a couple of BBC/BCC unis as Insurance.

You are still quite likely to receive offers if you are predicted BCC and could potentially trade up in Adjustment if you wanted to as long as you get ABB in the exams.
I agree
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
I agree
:five:
Tashax2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah apply to maybe 3 BBB unis then 3 BBC-BCC or if you want you could do a foundation year at a top uni because idk about your course but I saw for leeds( an RG) their foundation year for business is CCC instead of AAB for the actual course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.57%
I don't have everything I need (93)
38.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed