Admission to uni with Learn Direct Access to HE

Watch
timdr500
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am considering doing a Learn Direct Access to HE course in place of A--levels. Does anyone have experience with using Learn Direct access courses to get into uni? Please let me know what access course you took, what universities you applied for, and which accepted or didn't accept based on the access course.

Another possibility would be to do Open University. For anyone who did Learn Direct access course then OU, how well does it prepare you for OU studies?

Thanks in advance.
MindMax2000
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I recently did an offline Access course, and I'm considering doing another one through Learn Direct/Stonebridge.

As far as I know, the majority of English universities accept them in place of A Levels. You will need to check the specific university and degree program though - they will state it in their general entry requirements, and entry requirements specific to the course.

I know of a few universities that openly said they are accepting OU foundation degrees/access programs instead of A Levels, but I haven't looked into it too much because of the cost.

The general consensus though is that Access courses are not as highly prized as A Levels.

I you have specific questions, I may ask you a bit more info about your academic background, what you intend to study, and where.
timdr500
Rep:
?
(Original post by MindMax2000)
I recently did an offline Access course, and I'm considering doing another one through Learn Direct/Stonebridge.

As far as I know, the majority of English universities accept them in place of A Levels. You will need to check the specific university and degree program though - they will state it in their general entry requirements, and entry requirements specific to the course.

I know of a few universities that openly said they are accepting OU foundation degrees/access programs instead of A Levels, but I haven't looked into it too much because of the cost.

The general consensus though is that Access courses are not as highly prized as A Levels.

I you have specific questions, I may ask you a bit more info about your academic background, what you intend to study, and where.
Thanks for that. My question was specifically the Learn Direct courses. Because thay are a commercial company and not a university, I thought maybe some universities wouldn't accept them.
MindMax2000
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They do. I recommend looking at Stonebridge though because they're essentially the same company (Stonebridge owns Learn Direct), and the Access courses tend to be cheaper there whilst covering the exact same material.
The Access courses are also verified by an external nationally recognised examining board/body, so the private company can't dictate your grades subjectively.
timdr500
Rep:
?
(Original post by MindMax2000)
They do. I recommend looking at Stonebridge though because they're essentially the same company (Stonebridge owns Learn Direct), and the Access courses tend to be cheaper there whilst covering the exact same material.
The Access courses are also verified by an external nationally recognised examining board/body, so the private company can't dictate your grades subjectively.
The one I'm interested in, computer science, isn't on the Stonebridge website.
nutellaforlife
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do not chose stonebridge they offer no help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (46)
17.36%
No one else does (83)
31.32%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.57%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (90)
33.96%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.89%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.26%

Watched Threads