The Student Room Group

Is there a recommended dress-code for Cambridge interviews?

So, I recently got my interview (yay!) for Cambridge, but I'm not sure how to dress and appear on the interview day.
Also, I currently have a beard and quarantine hair (lmao), so would you recommend to get my hair short (for formal appearence), and have a cleanshave (as often is the interview stereotype)?

EDIT: Would a short stubble work? Rather than cleanshave? Any idea?
(edited 3 years ago)
It's online, right? So PJ bottoms & a suit jacket w/ a crisp white button-down shirt & tie ;p
Nah just jk about the bottoms - but I'd definitely dress formal & professional. Businessman type vibe.
And yeah, idk if you need to cut your hair but definitely make it look neat - shave though!
Reply 2
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Even though most say it doesn't matter, there is, infact an unconcious bias. Even though appearence has nothing to do with the actual interview, its human nature, to subconciously judge people; basically the Halo effect.
Reply 3
Original post by confuzzledteen
It's online, right? So PJ bottoms & a suit jacket w/ a crisp white button-down shirt & tie ;p
Nah just jk about the bottoms - but I'd definitely dress formal & professional. Businessman type vibe.
And yeah, idk if you need to cut your hair but definitely make it look neat - shave though!

Honestly, its guilt tripping to shave off a beard I've been grooming since quite some time, and the hair...But I guess, as others said, first impression is crucial, and it might be a factor. So I might go with this advice.
When they say it doesn't matter, it *really* doesn't! Perhaps a little bit more for like Medicine and maybe Law but like as long as you are presentable and not wearing a shirt with an offensive slogan or anything you'll be absolutely fine. They're interested in what's in your head, not what you look like.

Tbh a lot of the academics don't dress that smartly themselves haha. Smart casual vibes is average.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending