UK Uni Choices help - Politics & International Relations

Watch
salmabadr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, so I'm an international student applying to the UK. I'm really interested in studying politics and/or international relations. My top university choices so far are Leeds Beckett, Nottingham Trent and UWE Bristol. Tuition fees are sort of an obstacle - which is why my choices may not be in London or at russel group universities. Any suggestions for universities that are affordable and offer a good politics/International relations course?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have a look into Aberystwyth, Swansea, Aston and Portsmouth. I dont know what their international fees are.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would echo the above recommendation for Aberystwyth. They have a long tradition in politics and IR.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by salmabadr)
Hi, so I'm an international student applying to the UK. I'm really interested in studying politics and/or international relations. My top university choices so far are Leeds Beckett, Nottingham Trent and UWE Bristol. Tuition fees are sort of an obstacle - which is why my choices may not be in London or at russel group universities. Any suggestions for universities that are affordable and offer a good politics/International relations course?
Hi salmabadr,

Have you considered the University of Hull in your search?
Fees for international students currently are £14,500 per year for this course with scholarships available from (https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/s...ips-and-awards)

Our Politics and International Relations Course can be found here (https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergr...ations-ba-hons)

Some reasons why students choose to study this course for the following reasons:
-One of the largest Westminster placement schemes
-92% graduate employability rating*
-Opt to spend three months studying overseas
-Learn from some of the UK's leading experts
-Politics is in the top 20 in the UK for overall satisfaction†
-Join the 'Hull mafia' of our graduates in politics

If you'd like to hear from a Politics and International Relations student, then please click this link where you will be able to chat with a current student on this course.

One of the things which students often enjoy about Hull is that it is the UK's most affordable student city (https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/s.../affordability) meaning living cost is cheaper than other cities. In my experience, this made for an enjoyable student experience as there was no a huge amount of pressure on myself to get a job, meaning I could focus on my studies and having a good time.

If you have any further questions then please just @ us

Take care,
Millie
Student Rep
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bristol, Sussex, Liverpool.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi

Have you looked at Coventry University yet?

The tuition fees for September 2020 intake were £13,900 (per year) and should be the same for September 2021 intake, but it has not been confirmed yet. Here is a link for further information about the course, if you are interested.

https://www.coventry.ac.uk/course-st...tions-ba-hons/

I am an undergraduate student of International Relations at CU Coventry and so far I am truly enjoying it. The course is very interesting and the professors are always willing to help out. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hope this helps.

Tereza
Coventry Student Ambassador
International Relations student
Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi salmabadr

I am a 3rd year Media and Communication student at Aberystwyth University.

The Department of International Politics in Aberystwyth has a great reputation and 101-years tradition. The department has been founded at the University College of Wales (today Aberystwyth University) in 1919 and it was the first department of this kind in the world. Today, the department is famous for 94% overall student satisfaction (according to the National Student Survey 2020).

A range of available courses includes International Relations and Politics. Both of them appeared as Top 10 in the UK for Teaching Quality and Student Experience in their categories (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019). The undoubted advantage of the courses is the number of modules they offer – you can narrow down your area of interest and focus on specific topics.

The tuition fee for international students starting their course in 2021/2022 academic year is £14,000 for a year. It is worth mentioning that Aberystwyth is considered to be an affordable place to live.

I hope it helps. Let me know if you have more questions!
Natalia
buttercup3lle
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think I've heard could things about Sheffield but don't quote me on that aha.
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi salmabadr
I'm a second-year student studying politics at UEA and love it. The University of East Anglia is in Norwich so living costs are very reasonable and there are scholarships available as well.
Let me know if you have any questions
Sophie
josesh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
LSE and St Andrews are the best for IR but I understand with costs they are probably ruled out.

UCL, King’s, Edinburgh, Warwick and Durham (Middle East really) have really good Politics and IR departments but again costs may rule them out.

York has a really good Politics department so may be worth a look. I’ve heard good things about Bristol and Sheffield too for Politics.

Have you had a look at Aberystwyth? They had the best IR department for a while not sure what it is like now. Essex was also historically known for its Politics department and may be worth a look. Sussex too?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads