Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know anything about this group, other than what is said on the website? I was considering signing up but there don't actually seem to be any classes available to join. I'd appreciate it if anyone could give their experiences or impressions of it!

www.oxbridgetutors.com

ReputationRep:
    It won't be worth the money it costs, whatever it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Isn't that a very ignorant thing to say? For example, and I'm saying this before I click the link, they could help you structure a personal statement. And before you argue that "a personal statement should be original" or something, it's useful to candidates who write something like

"I want to go to oxford 'cause i think i am ok at physics"

ReputationRep:
    Lol, how many serious Oxford physics applicants write a PS like that? And I'm sure there's a horde of people: Parents, teachers etc, who would tell them that's a stupid way to start a PS for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Isn't that a very ignorant thing to say? For example, and I'm saying this before I click the link, they could help you structure a personal statement. And before you argue that "a personal statement should be original" or something, it's useful to candidates who write something like

"I want to go to oxford 'cause i think i am ok at physics"
    My point was that its not worth parting with money for, and I don't intend to support companies such as that which line their pockets by exploiting families and students who don't know any better, and are desperate to gain places at Oxbridge.
    Interviewers in both institutions are able to spot applicants who have been specially prepared or trained in some way.

As Rudrax says, we have a PS library on our wiki if somebody needs pointers for their PS, and myself along with others work very hard to help people with their statements for free.

I could drop out of my degree this minute and start such a company as that one, using the fact that I've been through two admissions cycles, earning interviews from Cambridge twice along with an offer. Because it was a company, people would think 'oh - but its professional' and suddenly be prepared to part with far more money than they would to any TSRer who's only a student.

I feel very confident that if somebody is brilliant enough to earn a place at Oxbridge, advice and help that can be bought from such a company is not going to help them any more than free advice by a TSR PS Helper. If that company charges anything like the prices others have quoted, you're looking at nearly a hundred pounds for your statement to be reviewed, or to book a mock interview.

Lastly, you don't need help to get into Oxbridge. You need:
    a) to be intelligent enough
    b) to have the confidence to put yourself forward
    c) to be willing to trust your own common sense as well as that of a professional's when reading the very idiot proof admissions instructions provided in a userfriendly format by the Universities and their colleges.
    d) to be very lucky.

Extra help from a company only affects b.

As a PS Helper I don't believe that when I review a statement bound for Oxbridge, I will make much of a difference to the student's chances. I might have earnt one or two students an interview by Cambridge where their statement would previously have held them back. However if they're not actually extraordinary, they won't get past that interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    To me it looks more geared up for exam tutoring at all levels rather than specifically tutoring for Oxford and Cambridge admissions. Though it does include that as well, as well as tutoring for public school entry. Given that it is not a site with the sole aim of helping with admissions, I don't think a sweeping statement that it wont be worth the money is necessarily correct without knowing more about the quality of the company. There may be parts of it that aren't worth it, such as the admissions help, but I don't think you can blame the company for fulfilling a demand, as long as they don't try to fuel the demand. After all there are always going to be people who want to spend money on Oxbridge tutoring, and they are going to find someone to fulfil it, to not offer the service because it is immoral would be silly, whereas to create a company for the sole purpose of fulfilling the demand, and then trying to increase the demand I would say is immoral.

Just my thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hampster)
    To me it looks more geared up for exam tutoring at all levels rather than specifically tutoring for Oxford and Cambridge admissions. Though it does include that as well, as well as tutoring for public school entry. Given that it is not a site with the sole aim of helping with admissions, I don't think a sweeping statement that it wont be worth the money is necessarily correct without knowing more about the quality of the company. There may be parts of it that aren't worth it, such as the admissions help, but I don't think you can blame the company for fulfilling a demand, as long as they don't try to fuel the demand. After all there are always going to be people who want to spend money on Oxbridge tutoring, and they are going to find someone to fulfil it, to not offer the service because it is immoral would be silly, whereas to create a company for the sole purpose of fulfilling the demand, and then trying to increase the demand I would say is immoral.

Just my thoughts.
    Yeh I can buy that. I had a look at the site last night, and also thought it looked geared towards tutoring and exam help as you say. However, I'm happy to discourage expenditure in this sense also. Myself and a college friend both responded to an ad by such a company in our porter's lodge. It essentially asked current Cambridge students to provide their details and educational experience and to mention which subjects they were willing to tutor for, and to what level. It then involved a simple ten minute 'assessment', before hooking the student up with a family or individual who was prepared to pay for a one off tutor session, or a series of such sessions.
    While I have no problem working for the company, as I find one on one interaction rewarding, and enjoy helping people, and because they are prepared to pay for it. However, I don't believe it is worth the money, and I object so vociferously in order to challenge people who have romanticised notions about what they're getting for that money.

I am perfectly prepared to own that my original post was opinion, and I think it was very clearly that, without any pretence of more. However, as stated in this post and its predecessor - I feel I have a range of strong reasons to support that view.

ReputationRep:
    I dislike the fact that they seem to be using the universities' reputation for themselves despite having no real association with them. Nothing to be done about it though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm inclined to agree with Craghyrax on the topic of exploitative companies - I see this kind of thing around all the time, though I can't recall any names atm. The situation might be slightly worse in the U.S., where they are have horribly expensive (but hugely popular) 'SAT courses' that a lot of people feel obligated to join. (although I think the SAT's are a sham anyway)

I reckon Cambridge and Oxford should get together and license 'Oxbridge', to prevent all these companies popping up and feeding off the name ^_^.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.