Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got a job at WH Smiths as a xmas temp and was just wonderin if anyone had done it what its like. What do you have to do whats the pay like etc.Thanks

ReputationRep:
    worked there for a year and a half.

Pay is just above minimum wage if i can remember correctly.
    It's a pretty good job though, they give good training and once you get used to the tills it's easy.

Best part-time job i ever had really

ReputationRep:
    it's not too bad. Pay is the worst on the high street (£5.13 if you're 18 when I worked there) but it's not too bad a job, especially if you're on books or entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    its okish. worked there last year, the pay is pretty low (£5.13 for me, im 18). i got trained for about 20mins and then on that same day thrown straight onto the tills with a busy queue! (disastrous lol) but i loved all the people that worked there,loads of students. you'll get a bit fed up of having to scan the Smiths discount vouchers with every purchase and offering 99p galaxys to everyone :P
    Lol but all in all, it tends to be a laid back,nice atmosphere enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worldwide)
    it's not too bad. Pay is the worst on the high street (£5.13 if you're 18 when I worked there) but it's not too bad a job, especially if you're on books or entertainment.

Im got/getting 4.86 an hour working at cotswold outdoor, which is on the highstreet. I would love to get 5.13 an hour. and im 19.

ReputationRep:
    that's awful- let's say 'amongst the worst' then :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.=] I'm gunna be on books.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the Xmas job now? Does that mean most shops have started recruiting for the Christmas season?

(My lack of recruitment knowledge shows me up yet again )

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually thinking off applying as I'm getting my National Insurance soon. Do they recruit 15 year olds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Do you have the Xmas job now? Does that mean most shops have started recruiting for the Christmas season?

(My lack of recruitment knowledge shows me up yet again )
    I've got the job =] but need a induction day before I can start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreamer*)
    I'm actually thinking off applying as I'm getting my National Insurance soon. Do they recruit 15 year olds?
    I think theres a bit on the form that asks if your over school leaving age. But you could just lie and hope for the best =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimee91)
    I've got a job at WH Smiths as a xmas temp and was just wonderin if anyone had done it what its like. What do you have to do whats the pay like etc.Thanks
    I've seen the ads for xmas temps and am tempted to apply. To the OP, when do you start? I'm looking for general part time work as well as over christmas. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimee91)
    I think theres a bit on the form that asks if your over school leaving age. But you could just lie and hope for the best =]
    Lol, they'll still find out. They ask for proof of identity, you know.
    I doubt they'd recruit 15 year olds, just wait till you're 16.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I recently got a job at WH Smith - I'm 16. I'm permanent staff, by the way.

I think they were pretty desperate for somebody - either that, or the manager really liked me. I dropped off the form, and was told to expect a call that weekend. No call, so I went back in on Sunday and the person I gave the form to said she'd talk to the manager. I got a call on Monday, and was asked to go to an interview for Tuesday. I was offered the job at the end of the interview (the manager said she doesn't usually do this), and was asked to come for 3 hours training on Friday. I had to start on the Sunday.

Basically, I work a whole day on Sunday. I'm the third person into the store (after the Sunday manager and the person in charge of security), and I have to turn up half an hour before opening (the other employees turn up 10 minutes before opening). I just make sure the entertainment area is tidy, and check the store is ready for opening. I spend the day working on Entertainment, and count and pack up the newspapers at the end of the day.

I'm paid £4.28/hour, and I think they said they do quarterly pay reviews. Please note that you do NOT get paid extra on a Sunday unless you work there full time. I think that they do pay extra during the Christmas period (£1/hour extra or something), which includes temps.

The pay isn't the best, but I like working there as its quite a small store. The other staff are friendly, and its quite laid back in my store on a Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreamer*)
    WH Smith don't recruit 15 year olds, unfortunately. I doubt you could get away with lying, as your NI card probably won't be valid until you're 16. Besides, you have to show your birth certificate or passport to show you're allowed to work in the uk, both of which do have your date of birth on.

ReputationRep:
    i saw an ad for xmas temps today im thinking of applying... incase i mega screw up by boots interview.

ReputationRep:
    I got the job and start next saturday =]

ReputationRep:
    Well, a job was posted on the WhSmith site 2 days ago (26th) for my city, just applied, i'm not too late am I ? How long does it generally take for them to reply?

ReputationRep:
    I hated working at WHSmith but that was 100% because me and my manager just didn't get on at all.
    The people were lovely && the job overall wasn't too bad.
    The pay isn't great though...I was on £4.25 an hour at 17 yrs old.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.