CParker21
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was hoping someone might be able to help show me where I am going wrong with the following:

y=2x√(1-x) use the product rule to differentiate and then factorise fully the resulting functions.

I have uploaded a picture of my workings to try and show it simpler than typing, the answer is apparently ((1-x)⌃-1/2)[2-3x] though, and I'm unsure of whether I have gone wrong on the differentiating or the factorising.

Thanks

Name:  IMG_20201129_130624.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  369.5 KB
Last edited by CParker21; 1 month ago
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CParker21)
I was hoping someone might be able to help show me where I am going wrong with the following:

y=2x√(1-x) use the product rule to differentiate and then factorise fully the resulting functions.

I have uploaded a picture of my workings to try and show it simpler than typing, the answer is apparently ((1-x)⌃-1/2)[2-3x] though, and I'm unsure of whether I have gone wrong on the differentiating or the factorising.

Thanks

Hard to read sideways but I think you've missed out the (-1) factor you get from differentiating 1-x with respect to x.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thanks

\displaystyle (1-x)^{\frac{1}{2}}

Think about the derivative of this again. What you wrote was wrong.
qweqworiet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do it slowly step by step, u= ,u’= , v= , v’=
CParker21
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Prince Philip)
\displaystyle (1-x)^{\frac{1}{2}}

Think about the derivative of this again. What you wrote was wrong.
I'm still a bit lost there, if you're finding the derivative of (x)⌃n then dy/dx = n(x)⌃n-1? So n=1/2 and x=(1-x) in this instance?

Edit, ignore me, I completely forgot about the chain rule. Finally makes sense now, thanks for your help everyone.
Last edited by CParker21; 1 month ago
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm still a bit lost there, if you're finding the derivative of (x)⌃n then dy/dx = n(x)⌃n-1? So n=1/2 and x=(1-x) in this instance?
You need to use the chain rule since you have a chain of functions : (1-x) and x^{\frac{1}{2}}

If you're still unsure, what's the derivative of e.g. (1+x^2)^3?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.32%
I don't have everything I need (94)
38.68%

Watched Threads