Self Teaching Further Maths A Level...

Watch
harrylonghurst
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, Im currently in Yr12 doing Maths/Geog/Econ and EPQ.
So far I'm doing well getting A*A*A after Autumn exams at school and in my spare time self-studying Further Maths with the hope of at least doing as AS, but potentially doing the full A level as a private candidate.

How much of a benefit do you think me doing this will have for Unis such as LSE, UCL etc? I think I can achieve an A* in Maths and A/A* in Further maths if I dedicate a lot of time to it.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you decided what you want to apply to read? Further Maths will be of little benefit for some subjects but a substantial one if you are thinking of - say - Economics. However, it is better to get 3 top grades than 4 good ones so don't jeopardise your performance in other subjects.
harrylonghurst
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Have you decided what you want to apply to read? Further Maths will be of little benefit for some subjects but a substantial one if you are thinking of - say - Economics. However, it is better to get 3 top grades than 4 good ones so don't jeopardise your performance in other subjects.
Not entirely sure what course atm, but probably one of the Maths/Economic related ones such as Maths and Economics. I do agree though, atm it hasn't affected my other grades, but I guess I'll just see how it goes
k86754
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by harrylonghurst)
Not entirely sure what course atm, but probably one of the Maths/Economic related ones such as Maths and Economics. I do agree though, atm it hasn't affected my other grades, but I guess I'll just see how it goes
I'm applying to LSE and UCL for economics and I also self-taught fm. If you're wanting to apply to LSE and UCL for a course such as maths or economics, then it is essential that you choose fm as it is preferred and the majority of those who get offers will have fm. Your chance of acceptance without it will be a lot lower since the course at these universities is so mathematical.
harrylonghurst
Rep:
?
(Original post by k86754)
I'm applying to LSE and UCL for economics and I also self-taught fm. If you're wanting to apply to LSE and UCL for a course such as maths or economics, then it is essential that you choose fm as it is preferred and the majority of those who get offers will have fm. Your chance of acceptance without it will be a lot lower since the course at these universities is so mathematical.
Yeah thats what I've been hearing from a lot of people. How did you find teaching yourself FM? And AS or full A Level?
k86754
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah thats what I've been hearing from a lot of people. How did you find teaching yourself FM? And AS or full A Level?
i had to self teach the year 12 content, however, I now have lessons for year 13. I had to self-teach it in a very short amount of time, only like 2 months as I had to sit a test in June for my sixth form to let me attend lessons in year 13. It's not too bad to self-teach as long as you have good resources like textbooks and also practice questions.
harrylonghurst
Rep:
?
(Original post by k86754)
i had to self teach the year 12 content, however, I now have lessons for year 13. I had to self-teach it in a very short amount of time, only like 2 months as I had to sit a test in June for my sixth form to let me attend lessons in year 13. It's not too bad to self-teach as long as you have good resources like textbooks and also practice questions.
Ngl I was actually thinking of doing that myself anyway. I want to teach myself year 12 and if I find it alright I will ask my school to join for Year 13, if not I'll most likely sit the AS. And yeah I've got the edexcel textbooks which are good, lots of useful tutorials on YT aswell
bboyapati9
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which options are you studying? I've started to self-teach Further Stats but I might learn Further Mechanics as well.
harrylonghurst
Rep:
?
(Original post by bboyapati9)
Which options are you studying? I've started to self-teach Further Stats but I might learn Further Mechanics as well.
Haven't started the options yet as I'm doing all of Core 1 first, then an option, then C2 etc.
Most likely going to do Further Pure 1 and Stats 1 though.
ayeshasam
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, Im currently in Yr12 doing Maths/Geog/Econ and EPQ.
So far I'm doing well getting A*A*A after Autumn exams at school and in my spare time self-studying Further Maths with the hope of at least doing as AS, but potentially doing the full A level as a private candidate.

How much of a benefit do you think me doing this will have for Unis such as LSE, UCL etc? I think I can achieve an A* in Maths and A/A* in Further maths if I dedicate a lot of time to it.
If you're doing Economics at LSE or any maths based degree at like imperial or oxbridge further maths is basically essential (or just highly highly desirable). I'd say go for it, I taught myself the AS in year 13 I'd say its totally possible you just need great time management, organisation and a lot of practice... especially when tackling the A2 by yourself.
harrylonghurst
Rep:
?
(Original post by ayeshasam)
If you're doing Economics at LSE or any maths based degree at like imperial or oxbridge further maths is basically essential (or just highly highly desirable). I'd say go for it, I taught myself the AS in year 13 I'd say its totally possible you just need great time management, organisation and a lot of practice... especially when tackling the A2 by yourself.
Yeah I think I have the ability to do it, I've already made checklists with the specification and made a time plan for year 12 at least, including some of the normal Maths topics I will have to learn ahead of my class at school. What grade did you get and how did you find it then for the AS?
ayeshasam
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I think I have the ability to do it, I've already made checklists with the specification and made a time plan for year 12 at least, including some of the normal Maths topics I will have to learn ahead of my class at school. What grade did you get and how did you find it then for the AS?
I got an A for the AS. Personally I found teaching the content really straight forward (in fact the AS content is x10 easier than that of the A2). I just read through the Edexcel textbook, did all the questions and marked them accordingly to the solutions online. I chose stats and discrete but if you take mechanics for normal maths it might be best to take mech and stats (further stats is super easy). Matrices was a slight challenge for me to grasp on my own but after going through it a lot I was able to manage. Only challenge is timing with past papers - some questions aren't hard but lengthy. The main issue with FM is when you get one step wrong you have do redo the whole thing to get back on track which is time consuming. As you said, keeping ahead of normal maths is useful. Judging by your other predicted grades I'd say you'd be able to manage just fine . Stay organised and you'll do great !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
14.18%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (35)
24.82%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
43.26%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (21)
14.89%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.84%

Watched Threads