Intramoon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When using s=ut+1/2at^2 to find t, but both values are positive, which value do I use for t?
HS_1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Intramoon)
When using s=ut+1/2at^2 to find t, but both values are positive, which value do I use for t?
depends on the context of the q - can we see the q?
Intramoon
Rep:
?
(Original post by HS_1)
depends on the context of the q - can we see the q?
The question was “a particle reduces its speed from 20m/s to 8.2m/s while travelling 100m. Assuming it continues to move with the same constant acceleration, how long will it take to travel another 20m?”
razzor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The question was “a particle reduces its speed from 20m/s to 8.2m/s while travelling 100m. Assuming it continues to move with the same constant acceleration, how long will it take to travel another 20m?”
The particle is constantly reducing its speed and eventually, its speed will become 0. After this point, the particle will travel in the opposite direction. Hence why you have two different positive times at which the particle will have displacement of 20m from its starting point.

Up to you to decide which one of your solutions is more appropriate.
Intramoon
Rep:
?
(Original post by razzor)
The particle is constantly reducing its speed and eventually, its speed will become 0. After this point, the particle will travel in the opposite direction. Hence why you have two different positive times at which the particle will have displacement of 20m from its starting point.

Up to you to decide which one of your solutions is more appropriate.
Ok, thank you! Also, if it’s not too much trouble, can I ask how would I use s=ut+1/2at^2 to solve the question “a particle moves with constant deceleration of 3.6m/s^2 It travels 350m while its speed halves. Find the time it takes to do this” if u is not given? How would you find u?
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok, thank you! Also, if it’s not too much trouble, can I ask how would I use s=ut+1/2at^2 to solve the question “a particle moves with constant deceleration of 3.6m/s^2 It travels 350m while its speed halves. Find the time it takes to do this” if u is not given? How would you find u?
Can you think of another suvat equation which involves u, v, a and s to solve for u? Then determine the time?
Intramoon
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Can you think of another suvat equation which involves u, v, a and s to solve for u? Then determine the time?
I can think of v^2=u^2+2as but not quite sure how to work out v and u with that 😅
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can think of v^2=u^2+2as but not quite sure how to work out v and u with that 😅
So
v^2 - u^2 = 2as
Substitute v then solve for u.
Intramoon
Rep:
?
So
v^2 - u^2 = 2as
Substitute v then solve for u.
Ok, so I did v = 0.5x and u = x
(0.5x)^2 - x^2 = 2x-3.6x350
0.25x^2 - x^2 = -2520
Square root of -2520/0.25-1 = x = 4 square root 210
Substituted that into s = ut+1/2at^2
Two answers were t = 8.050...s or t = 24.152..s which I think is correct, but now I’m not sure which ones more appropriate haha
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok, so I did v = 0.5x and u = x
(0.5x)^2 - x^2 = 2x-3.6x350
0.25x^2 - x^2 = -2520
Square root of -2520/0.25-1 = x = 4 square root 210
Substituted that into s = ut+1/2at^2
Two answers were t = 8.050...s or t = 24.152..s which I think is correct, but now I’m not sure which ones more appropriate haha
Easier to use
v = u + at
To get time?

In a sense there could be two solutions as they're talking about speed, rather than velocity. Have a think why.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
Intramoon
Rep:
?
Easier to use
v = u + at
To get time?

In a sense there could be two solutions as they're talking about speed, rather than velocity. Have a think why.
Thank you so much I did that and the answer was 8.05s, I don’t know what the t = 24.152s is the time for..
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much I did that and the answer was 8.05s, I don’t know what the t = 24.152s is the time for..
You could investigate? Extra solutions mean something.
A simple sketch would be enough to understand.
Intramoon
Rep:
?
You could investigate? Extra solutions mean something.
A simple sketch would be enough to understand.
Is it the time for the particle going through the same situation but before the start of the question?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it the time for the particle going through the same situation but before the start of the question?
Did you sketch it? Not sure how t=24 could be before the start, as t would be negative in that case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed