The Student Room Group

How do I discipline myself to study?

Currently I am in year 11 and had finished one set of my mocks last month. I don’t think I did as well as I expected, my results are being given in a few days, and it’s really hard to stop thinking about it. I have 2 more sets of mocks and one of them are soon in January. I lack discipline and it seems impossible to sit down and just study. I tell my teachers to help but all I hear is generic advice that doesn’t help at all. How do I study and memorise stuff and make sure it stays in my brain?

- Fellow year 11
Reply 1
Original post by iamtee
Currently I am in year 11 and had finished one set of my mocks last month. I don’t think I did as well as I expected, my results are being given in a few days, and it’s really hard to stop thinking about it. I have 2 more sets of mocks and one of them are soon in January. I lack discipline and it seems impossible to sit down and just study. I tell my teachers to help but all I hear is generic advice that doesn’t help at all. How do I study and memorise stuff and make sure it stays in my brain?

- Fellow year 11

I personally like listening to something in the background whilst I'm revising, normally music, but if I am revising for English, I will listen to the book I'm revising in the background. Watching YouTube videos on the subject is good if you find it hard to sit down and revise, and also treating yourself to something after doing a little bit of revision helps motivate you. Just do it in sections so you don't have to sit for long periods of time hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Ah thank you very much for the advice. I like to do maths and listen to music as it is quite enjoyable to do.

Quick Reply

Latest