What can you do if you have a degree in a field you no longer want to work in?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I'm doing a Biomedical Science degree. I'm in third year, so there's no point dropping out or anything. But I hate it so much. I chose to do an Applied Science BTEC when I left high school because I genuinely really did enjoy science in high school, and while there were other subjects I enjoyed equally, I wasn't passionate about anything in particular and science was the one with the best employment opportunities.

I enjoyed it slightly less so in college, but it's not like you can go to uni for anything other than a science degree after that. And now I just genuinely really hate my course. I still enjoy the theory, I like learning about things. It's just that in order to do that you have to do experiments and data analysis which I can't stand. And obviously, that's what any job within the sector would entail. I don't want to do that. I want to graduate and never have to use R studio or do an ANOVA test again.

I feel jealous of the people who did humanities or arts degrees. I liked those subjects equally, and if I had made different choices after high school I probably would have ended up studying English or Media Studies and I would be so much happier. I realise it's my fault for not dropping out in first year, but I kept thinking things would get better. They didn't. So obviously I'm going to finish my degree but I'm probably gonna get a 2:2 or under so it's not like I'd have good prospects even after uni.

But TLDR, my question is: what do I do after uni if I don't want to work in the industry? I know you can't do a second undergraduate degree. But is there some kind of postgraduate 'here's what you missed' course for other subjects (wishful thinking, I know). Or do I just have to act like I never got a degree at all, and go for entry-level jobs in unrelated fields?
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I'm doing a Biomedical Science degree. I'm in third year, so there's no point dropping out or anything. But I hate it so much. I chose to do an Applied Science BTEC when I left high school because I genuinely really did enjoy science in high school, and while there were other subjects I enjoyed equally, I wasn't passionate about anything in particular and science was the one with the best employment opportunities.

I enjoyed it slightly less so in college, but it's not like you can go to uni for anything other than a science degree after that. And now I just genuinely really hate my course. I still enjoy the theory, I like learning about things. It's just that in order to do that you have to do experiments and data analysis which I can't stand. And obviously, that's what any job within the sector would entail. I don't want to do that. I want to graduate and never have to use R studio or do an ANOVA test again.

I feel jealous of the people who did humanities or arts degrees. I liked those subjects equally, and if I had made different choices after high school I probably would have ended up studying English or Media Studies and I would be so much happier. I realise it's my fault for not dropping out in first year, but I kept thinking things would get better. They didn't. So obviously I'm going to finish my degree but I'm probably gonna get a 2:2 or under so it's not like I'd have good prospects even after uni.

But TLDR, my question is: what do I do after uni if I don't want to work in the industry? I know you can't do a second undergraduate degree. But is there some kind of postgraduate 'here's what you missed' course for other subjects (wishful thinking, I know). Or do I just have to act like I never got a degree at all, and go for entry-level jobs in unrelated fields?
The joy of a degree is the fact that it gives you so many more skills than just the things you learn in your degree. So even with a science degree, you can still apply for jobs outside the science remit. I had a friend who studied chemistry, hated it, pushed to get a 2.1 and is now working for the civil service.

Try and just get the best grades you can. Do some work experience or get involved in societies (obviously COVID dependent) to expand your experiences and grow your CV. Then apply for jobs that interest you and just work out how to sell your skills.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

You can do a second degree in a helathcare related field.
If you dont want to do that then a lot of gradfuate jobs 45% are non degree specific. Your bigger issue is the 2:2.

Once you are out of that then imo choose a field whioch has professional training and you can continue to do exams and get a profession.
AndyChow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
2:2 means pretty much no chances at a graduate-level job, if you arent from G5 unis, then you might as well not have it.
I recommend you bite the bullet and push hard for a 2:1, it's worth the pain.
You can apply to do another undergrad course but it's 3 years and you have no funding, most people do conversion masters but most good unis won't take 2:2 students.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Oh, I am still trying hard to get a 2:1, but the majority of our assessments now revolve around data analysis which I just can't get my head around. I go from As and Bs on theory to Cs and Ds on anything involving statistics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (40)
18.02%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.38%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13.06%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.25%

Watched Threads