lottiecornwall
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Assess whether improved transportation infrastructure is enough to help close the gap between the economic growth of the north of the uk and the south east
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How many marks is the Q? Which exam board?
What case studies do you have for this?
lottiecornwall
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
We were just told to write an essay so I’m guessing 8-12 marks as the word used is ‘assess’?
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lottiecornwall)
We were just told to write an essay so I’m guessing 8-12 marks as the word used is ‘assess’?
Ahh okay, so for the key word ‘assess’ you’ll need to consider if the improved transportation infrastructure is enough and if there’s anything more important than that in closing the economic gap between the north and south

I’m guessing your case study might be something like HS2?
You’ll definitely need a conclusion :yes:
lottiecornwall
Rep:
?

Ahh okay, so for the key word ‘assess’ you’ll need to consider if the improved transportation infrastructure is enough and if there’s anything more important than that in closing the economic gap between the north and south

I’m guessing your case study might be something like HS2?
You’ll definitely need a conclusion :yes:
Thank you! How many paragraphs do u think I’ll need for the main body?
yes I think we can use HS2
silverdanger
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
intro- try to make clear a point and maybe introduce ur main example here

You'll probably need 3 paras

2 for your side of argument, 1 for the other

You could definitely argue that it hasn't been effective as for example HS2s first phase only extends as far as Manchester (I believe) so won't affect hardest hit areas from global shift e.g Sunderland for manufacturing and North in general after privatisation of coal etc which made them close as not economically viable

Furthermore, transport development can encourage purchase of homes in North for commuting- leading to dormitory settlements here while cities that are connected to this labour gain through increased spending here/ transport development causes affulent of London to buy up cheaper housing

So ultimately this means the North doesn't grow economically from transport; doesn't overcome inequalities related to education, healthcare and doesn't directly target unemployment so can actually facilitatw NS divide

You could argue it does help because size of HS2 investment is large-scale and long-term, could encourage businesses to set up here where land is cheaper as labour can access
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lottiecornwall)

Thank you! How many paragraphs do u think I’ll need for the main body?
yes I think we can use HS2
Probably 3 paragraphs, shouldn’t take much more than a side of A4 if your handwriting isn’t huge! Maybe a small intro but you’ll need a few sentences for a conclusion too
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Remember to put all words into your own. Reference all sources as well. Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.42%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (41)
27.52%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
40.94%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.68%

Watched Threads