Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to uni this year. A few weeks ago I was out with some friends. After the night had pretty much died down, on the drunken stagger home I got into a fight with an old nemesis of mine.

I won, by quite a margin. He wasn't badly hurt, just the usual results from such a fight. He has since however gone to the police and subsequently I was arrested for assault. I have to appear in court soon.

I am only 17, as my birthday isn't till December (not much of an issue getting into the pubs round here though). Since the crime was committed when I was under 18, I don't know if they'll be lenient or not. Whatever the outcome, I could well end up with a criminal conviction for assault along with community service etc.

I know when applying for UCAS they asked me if I have had any convictions and I said no, because at the time I didn't. Could this be a serious issue with me getting into Queens Belfast? Kinda' worried, I don't want to have thrown everything away for a stupid brawl!

At the same time I can't imagine them performing lengthy record checks on every applicant. I might not even be convicted. I need input!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    it won't matter, dont worry.

ReputationRep:
    I really have no idea.
    Might affect your chances but don't take my word as i'm not sure, never been in that situation or know anyone who has been.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.qub.ac.uk/directorates/Ac...d,24697,en.pdf

Personnaly I'd advise being open about whatever happens. I'm sure a stupid arguement that got out of hand won't affect your chances if you are otherwise of 'good character'
    Give some thought as to who might provide you a positive character reference just on the remote possibility that you'll need one.

ReputationRep:
    ^ stfu anyone can get in a fight wen their smashed

ReputationRep:
    This is unlikely to be a serious issue. Just keep silent for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WOLLSMOTH)
    This forum has text speak rules.
    pipe down your like 40

ReputationRep:
    OK, I read that document gdunne42. I'm still not sure what the outcome will be, the matter does involve that of violence but it wasn't a serious violent act. No weapons, no mercilessness and I have never had any other record before that (never been in a proper fight before that).

I'm not applying for any medical course or anything that involves kids or vulnerable people. Do you think they actually check the records of every applicant?

ReputationRep:
    Can you give some details such as if you were provoked, what evidence is there, who was you with, who was he with, any CCTV, what injuries did you both have, what did the police see, how have you pleaded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WOLLSMOTH)
    If you're the kind of person who fights people on the street, i think you should reconsider if university is for you.
    I'm not wasting my time arguing with you because I don't want this topic to become hijacked. However, considering you know me only through about 15 sentences and that I was quite under the influence at the time, I think you should stop making arrogant judgments and stop wasting your own time by inputting garbage to start an argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    Can you give some details such as if you were provoked, what evidence is there, who was you with, who was he with, any CCTV, what injuries did you both have, what did the police see, how have you pleaded?
    I will plead guilty when I appear in court.

For more detail, the guy was talking some serious, bitter and personal trash to me a few days prior. I would have knocked him out there and then had it not been that I didn't want to ruin my friends birthday. So on the walk home, I saw him and went over to square up to him. One thing lead to another and I gave him a smack. He feebly tried to return the favor but after one or two more punches he, maybe submissively, hit the ground and I walked on. No CCTV was around. Two witnesses were my two friends whom I was walking home with.

He had a black eye and a slightly swollen face with an eyebrow cut, apparently; I never stopped to make an analysis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamscrewed)
    I will plead guilty when I appear in court.

For more detail, the guy was talking some serious, bitter and personal trash to me a few days prior. I would have knocked him out there and then had it not been that I didn't want to ruin my friends birthday. So on the walk home, I saw him and went over to square up to him. One thing lead to another and I gave him a smack. He feebly tried to return the favor but after one or two more punches he, maybe submissively, hit the ground and I walked on. No CCTV was around. Two witnesses were my two friends whom I was walking home with.

He had a black eye and a slightly swollen face with an eyebrow cut, apparently; I never stopped to make an analysis.
    The things in bold will not look good in court. Try re-wording them or leaving them out.
    A black eye could constiture ABH, but from your detail assualt is most likely. You MUST fit in that he was slandering you a few days prior and you went over to discuss the things he had said-with NO intention of a fight. You were provoked!
    As for uni i can't see it effecting your chances of getting in. It was a drunken brawl which lead to 2 people fighting.
    Tell the uni you have a criminal record though-don't deny that.

ReputationRep:
    Man, you may be ******, at least untill youv spent your sentence.
    I have a CR with criminal damage, but iv spent my three month service order... I dont have to put that on anything unless im applying for medicine or law (which im not ).

But, seeing as you dont have that much time on your hands, plead guilty, take it to the chin, dont do anything to him, because, you were in the wrong. Universities, im guessing, would look much better upon someone who knows that what they did was a mistake in that they pleaded guilty, rather than tried to fight it and get away with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the666thmessiah)
    Man, you may be ******, at least untill youv spent your sentence.
    I have a CR with criminal damage, but iv spent my three month service order... I dont have to put that on anything unless im applying for medicine or law (which im not ).

But, seeing as you dont have that much time on your hands, plead guilty, take it to the chin, dont do anything to him, because, you were in the wrong. Universities, im guessing, would look much better upon someone who knows that what they did was a mistake in that they pleaded guilty, rather than tried to fight it and get away with it
    the666thmessiah, I take it you didn't have that when / if you applied for uni?

The things in bold will not look good in court. Try re-wording them or leaving them out.
    A black eye could constiture ABH, but from your detail assualt is most likely. You MUST fit in that he was slandering you a few days prior and you went over to discuss the things he had said-with NO intention of a fight. You were provoked!
    As for uni i can't see it effecting your chances of getting in. It was a drunken brawl which lead to 2 people fighting.
    Tell the uni you have a criminal record though-don't deny that.
    Thanks for the input. I will, of course, reword things majorly in court. I might ring the university anonymously to try and get an idea of what their response will be, just to put my mind at ease.

It was after all, just a stupid drunken fight. By the looks of that PDF posted above, Queens Belfast seem to take violent and drug crime more seriously than that of something else (criminal damage, for example).

Just stressing me out, there HAS to be someone on these boards who has applied to uni with a record.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=iamscrewed] By the looks of that PDF posted above, Queens Belfast seem to take violent and drug crime more seriously than that of something else (criminal damage, for example). [QUOTE]

It's not Queens, Every UK Uni has exactly the same policy and the focus is always on drugs (dealing) and violence. Don't stress it I am sure 100's of people are admitted every year with much more colourful records than yours. I'm certain that they don't do a CRB check on every new student except possibly for the medical etc courses listed, they would never do it without your persmission. I'd guess the chances of being found out are very slim but if it did come to their attention they would take a dim view of you hiding it.

ReputationRep:
    Keep it quiet for now but if you go for an interview be honest with them. Also obviously if you get a conviction mention it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input. My violence wasn't too serious, no weapon or anything. If I get a conviction I'll tell them, as someone above said; with the thousands of UCAS applicants every year there have to be more criminally recorded people than me getting in.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, just thought of this, A guy I know was recently tagged (for theiving) and I'm pretty sure he's going to uni (not 100% though).

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.