will getting universal credit affect my parents ?

Watch
Ty457
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My dad currently receives state pension benefit and housing benefits. If i claim universal credit, will it affect him in any way ?

i am 19.
Ty457
Rep:
?
can anyone help
Anonymous370
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ty457)
My dad currently receives state pension benefit and housing benefits. If i claim universal credit, will it affect him in any way ?

i am 19.
I really don't think it would, don't expect any link. Think of you and your dad as 2 separate people basically. I've claimed UC and my Dad didn't come to know that (we're separated).
Ty457
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous370)
I really don't think it would, don't expect any link. Think of you and your dad as 2 separate people basically. I've claimed UC and my Dad didn't come to know that (we're separated).
the gov website says stuff about “non-dependents”. Anyway will future employers know i was on universal credit ?
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ty457)
the gov website says stuff about “non-dependents”. Anyway will future employers know i was on universal credit ?
??? Non dependents ? Huh ? :confused:
Nope, not at all mate. In fact, the probably EXPECT you to some degree at least to be on UC to help you out financially whilst out of work, so better go for it, besides you've no idea really how long for you could end up out of work, especially at a time like this so better just go for it...
Last edited by Anonymous370; 1 month ago
Ty457
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous370)
??? Non dependents ? Huh ? :confused:
Nope, not at all mate. In fact, the probably EXPECT you to some degree at least to be on UC to help you out financially whilst out of work, so better go for it, besides you've no idea really how long for you could end up out of work, especially at a time like this so better just go for it...
are you 100% sure it won’t do nothing to my dad’s benefits. If i apply for universal credit as we live in the same house. So if anything happens to his benefits, i’ll be in sh!t
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ty457)
are you 100% sure it won’t do nothing to my dad’s benefits. If i apply for universal credit as we live in the same house. So if anything happens to his benefits, i’ll be in sh!t
Same house ? Oh. Not too sure then mate, better confirm with someone else here who knows more than me...
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Get in touch with the Citizens Advice Bureau. There will be one local to you and you can have a consultation over the phone for advice. It's free and a charity and should be able to tell you if anything would be affected.
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ty457)

i am 19.
999tigger can you answer this please.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Scotney)
999tigger can you answer this please.
OP Ty457you can either ask Vexper if they are around or CAB was fine as suggested above

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...us/contact-us/

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/About-Us/Our-helpline
OceanCat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As you are aged 18 or over, you count as a non dependant. Afaik, this means that even if you get a job it can affect your parents benefits. If you get any benefits, that can affect your parents benefits. Its unavoidable.

There are exceptions, I think one includes if you are in full time education. Then it shouldn't affect your parents.

All of this can be found on the gov. website.
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll be honest I haven't had much to do with Housing Benefit, haven't administered it or had sight of much of the involved policy.

You seem to meet the definition of being a non-dependent based on Regulation 3 of the Housing Benefit Regulations 2006, which would mean your pap is probably already subject to a non-dependent deduction as per regulation 74. However, there appears to have been an amendment which means a deduction wouldn't be made if you were on UC, under 25 and don't have any earned income;

https://england.shelter.org.uk/legal...ant_deductions

I would suggest getting yours and your dads heads together and contacting some of the support organisations already noted, Shelter are great for Housing. To me it sounds like ultimately you would both be better off, but better be sure as none of us really know the full circumstances at play and you should always make informed decisions when it comes to Universal Credit.
sarah.911
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ty457)

i am 19.
It doesn't affect him / or you until you get a job then they expect you to pay towards the rent. It goes based on your income
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (83)
18.61%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (125)
28.03%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (166)
37.22%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (58)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (14)
3.14%

Watched Threads