lilyhundre
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I want to be a geography teacher, I know you would need maths science english and geography gcse- would you need any other subjects, I am taking geography and English literature any other a levels i would be able to take ( anything but science and maths though!!) what degrees would i need??
SneezyPanda
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey!

I'm also looking at keeping the idea of being a Geography teacher open for the future (although my current career path is towards urban design/ planning).

Personally, I'm taking Geography, English Lit and Art at A-Level (with an EPQ related to Geography).

I'm guessing that having a Biology or maths A-Level would be handing, especially because of all the statistical data and links to biology within the subject. Other subjects apart from these may be useful though, it depends on what aspects of Geography you really like since the subject is so broad.

Social sciences may be good e.g. Psychology or sociology.
Maybe think about taking a computer subject e.g. computer science, IT, etc. because at uni there is a lot of computer-generated work using GIS and all that.
History may also be good. Personally, I've found so many links between the History and Geography specs with the Cold War and all that.
Really any subject fits in with Geography. To take Geography at uni you don't even need to have taken Geography at A-Level as long as you can show that you're passionate about your subject in your personal statement.

Good luck!
SneezyPanda
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Leaaahhh)
Hey!

I'm also looking at keeping the idea of being a Geography teacher open for the future (although my current career path is towards urban design/ planning).

Personally, I'm taking Geography, English Lit and Art at A-Level (with an EPQ related to Geography).

I'm guessing that having a Biology or maths A-Level would be handing, especially because of all the statistical data and links to biology within the subject. Other subjects apart from these may be useful though, it depends on what aspects of Geography you really like since the subject is so broad.

Social sciences may be good e.g. Psychology or sociology.
Maybe think about taking a computer subject e.g. computer science, IT, etc. because at uni there is a lot of computer-generated work using GIS and all that.
History may also be good. Personally, I've found so many links between the History and Geography specs with the Cold War and all that.
Really any subject fits in with Geography. To take Geography at uni you don't even need to have taken Geography at A-Level as long as you can show that you're passionate about your subject in your personal statement.

Good luck!
Also forgot to mention. In terms of the degrees to become a Geography teacher, you'd be best off taking either Bsc or BA Geography at university as an undergraduate and then doing a postgraduate degree in teaching. It leaves your options more open to other jobs in case teaching doesn't go to plan.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You would most likely need a geography degree, as well as some sort of teacher training after that (PGCE)
Geography gcse and alevel would be useful but apart from that you can pretty much take anything (a pass in both maths and English language gcse are required for most university courses)
Have a look at some universities you’re interested in and look at their subject requirements for geography
Last edited by laurawatt; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (47)
13.86%
Virtual campus tours/open days (74)
21.83%
Live streaming events (32)
9.44%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (36)
10.62%
A uni comparison tool (78)
23.01%
An in-person event when available (72)
21.24%