Why do most universities accept Btec engineering students, only if they have an a lev

Watch
Confidential_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm currently doing my extended dipolma in engineering. and we're doing things like further maths and calculus, also. i do aqa core maths, which is to do with statistics and stuff. even last year, foundation dipolma. i was doing a lot of maths. is a level maths a lot more than what im currently doing?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Confidential_)
I'm currently doing my extended dipolma in engineering. and we're doing things like further maths and calculus, also. i do aqa core maths, which is to do with statistics and stuff. even last year, foundation dipolma. i was doing a lot of maths. is a level maths a lot more than what im currently doing?
You would have to compare specifications but BTEC isnt considered as academically rigourous by some unis for certain courses, especually stem.
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A combination of some content being missed in A level maths and more importantly the experience of doing exams. When I did my foundation year we had a lot of BTEC students and all of them failed the foundation year because they just weren't prepared for taking exams and the uni didn't know how to properly support them in the transition. I imagine that's even more common when you're not on the foundation year, so unis play it safe and ask for the A level.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is a lot of Maths in engineering degrees - taking Further Maths A level can be a real advantage - and there's little point accepting people onto a course which they aren't prepared for. The level of Maths in the BTEC Engineering Principles exam is not very high (and the pass mark is low) and Level 3 AQA Mathematical Studies is significantly easier than AS Maths - I've known people do both and get A/B in Maths Studies and E/U in AS Maths. A level Maths is a step up from AS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (74)
17.79%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (120)
28.85%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (157)
37.74%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.5%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.13%

Watched Threads