How has Covid affected the quality of postgraduate courses at Glasgow?

Watch
ioinskyo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I really wanted to study a postgraduate degree this September but I didn't due to Covid uncertainties.
I am hoping to study Quantitative Methods in Biodiversity, Conservation and Epidemiology in September 2021.
What have been your experiences with this years teaching? Do you go to lectures? Are you able to communicate easily with peers and lecturers? Do the interactions feel personal?
MechanicalOnion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Am an undergrad student doing Mech Eng at Glasgow.

All of this year is online for undergrad and mostly for post grad as far as I know. I think some 2nd year on and post grad students may have labs on campus. For first year (I'm in first year) has nothing on campus. For labs they gave us the data and a demonstration for us to then write the reports.

Some courses have all live lectures on zoom, other courses have pre recorded lectures. the zoom lectures are pretty alright, professors usually stick around for questions at the end. Had no issues with contacting my advisor of studies either, he has been helpful.
Tutorials over zoom are a bit of a pain in the butt, often it's just one or two who are actively engaged with the cameras on and have done the questions, the rest are muted and cameras off... probably still sleeping.

some engineering students set up a massive discord and there's a big WhatsApp so communicating with peers is easy but not at all personal.

there's nothing personal this year. the library is open, that's a plus. societies sometimes have socials online but those are nothing comparable to in person socials.
ioinskyo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How is the library? I expect there are quite a few. Do you find that there is adequate space for quiet study?

Have you had to self isolate at any point? Have they accommodated those students well?
MechanicalOnion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ioinskyo)
How is the library? I expect there are quite a few. Do you find that there is adequate space for quiet study?

Have you had to self isolate at any point? Have they accommodated those students well?
The library is great for getting work done although currently they only have capacity for some 600 students Vs the few thousand I assume it should normally hold. getting a spot is sometimes difficult but we've an app that tells us how much space the library has.

I had to isolate for two weeks at the beginning of semester 1 along with the rest of Murano (covid central). support was mediocre at best.

right now we're in Tier 4 anyway so nothing is open except the library. there's a few study spaces across campus but afaik they're all shut. typically students would also go and study in many of the cafés in the west end.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (67)
17.91%
No one else does (120)
32.09%
I'm embarrassed about my background (39)
10.43%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (126)
33.69%
We don't use a video platform (6)
1.6%
I don't have a camera (9)
2.41%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
1.87%

Watched Threads