Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so I've just recently come across the BASc degree at UCL which I am very interested in but I don't meet the entry requirements (my A levels are AAA) does anyone know if there are any other courses in the UK that are similar to the BASc at UCL with lower entry requirements
HousesInCork
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
- I'm afraid I don't know of any degrees specifically or directly similar to BASc. As I understand the program was (is?) unique to UCL. My suggestion, however, would be that you could perhaps look at some of the joint honours/combined subjects degrees available at various British universities (including UCL). You may be able to find one combing two of the subjects you were particularly interested in the BASc, or ones very similar. Obviously this wouldn't be the same experience as the BASc but may be a good alternative if you still want a more subject diverse degree than the average single-subject experience. Off the top of my head, depending on what your specific interests within the BASc are, there are things like PPE or ESPS/ISPS and lots of single subjects that seem to be commonly combined/joint honoured with others which, in my personal experience, often include: MF Languages, History, Politics, Law, Business, Archaeology, Anthropology, Classics, Philosophy, Music, and Maths, but obviously there's way more than this. Some subjects are also (in my opinion) very diverse disciplines in their own right, for example both Anthropology and Archaeology can incorporate a mix of 'hard science", social sciences, and arts & humanities. Many of these will have entry requirements at or below AAA.

- Have you confirmed with UCL that they definitely won't consider you with your current grades? So long as your keep your expectations realistic, it might still be worth reaching out to the admissions tutors via email briefly explaining your situation (A Level subjects and grades, any other relevant qualifications/experience, any other extenuating factors they might consider) just in case and asking if it's still worth you having a punt at applying anyway.

I hoped this helped in some small way. Sorry I couldn't really directly answer your original question.
Last edited by HousesInCork; 1 month ago
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by VikingLemon)
- I'm afraid I don't know of any degrees specifically or directly similar to BASc. As I understand the program was (is?) unique to UCL. My suggestion, however, would be that you could perhaps look at some of the joint honours/combined subjects degrees available at various British universities (including UCL). You may be able to find one combing two of the subjects you were particularly interested in the BASc, or ones very similar. Obviously this wouldn't be the same experience as the BASc but may be a good alternative if you still want a more subject diverse degree than the average single-subject experience. Off the top of my head, depending on what your specific interests within the BASc are, there are things like PPE or ESPS/ISPS and lots of single subjects that seem to be commonly combined/joint honoured with others which, in my personal experience, often include: MF Languages, History, Politics, Law, Business, Archaeology, Anthropology, Classics, Philosophy, Music, and Maths, but obviously there's way more than this. Some subjects are also (in my opinion) very diverse disciplines in their own right, for example both Anthropology and Archaeology can incorporate a mix of 'hard science", social sciences, and arts & humanities. Many of these will have entry requirements at or below AAA.

- Have you confirmed with UCL that they definitely won't consider you with your current grades? So long as your keep your expectations realistic, it might still be worth reaching out to the admissions tutors via email briefly explaining your situation (A Level subjects and grades, any other relevant qualifications/experience, any other extenuating factors they might consider) just in case and asking if it's still worth you having a punt at applying anyway.

I hoped this helped in some small way. Sorry I couldn't really directly answer your original question.
thanks for the reply. I have emailed the BASc admissions last week on Saturday and am still waiting to hear a response. The reason I want to do BASc is because I am currently already studying at university but I really hate my course (biomedical science) and i want to reapply for a different course but I have absolutely no idea what i want to study. i thought i liked biology but have just realised now that I hate it. And thats when i came across BASc, and it really appeals to me because it offers a wide range of subject choices so that i don't have to restrict myself and study a subject that I hate for 3 years. but honestly i have no idea what else to do because i cannot continue studying biomed for the next 3 years if i hate it but i also have no idea what else i would study. I just really want to do BASc
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In terms of specifically combining the sciences and "arts", your options are somewhat limited. Flexible combined honours at Exeter is probably the next best option, although you are more specifically tied into particular disciplines there than choosing modules fairly widely. Some natural sciences courses may allow you to pursue some fields which might be considered "arts", such as the history and philosophy of science, archaeology, or anthropology (for example UCL, Cambridge, and Durham variously offer some of those options). The Scottish degree system allows you some flexibility to combine disparate studies in the first two years, but if you are specifically doing a STEM subject then you may find your options somewhat constrained by the needs of the STEM side of the course having so many required foundational modules/papers.

I would note there are however other courses which combine either "art" and "science" fields in a joint honours course, or combine aspects of the methodologies of both in single course. For the former, there are a number of degrees in e.g. physics and philosophy or mathematics and philosophy, due to relationships between the two respective courses. In the latter case there are courses in human sciences which very much combine scientific and "arts" perspectives, as well as slightly more broadly archaeology and/or (biological) anthropology which will incorporate some scientific approaches to the core subject matter. Also some "arts" subjects feature a great deal of analytical scientific style content, even including experimental approaches, such as linguistics and/or psychology.
anchorheart
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
I think Surrey, Birmingham, and Kings College London all offer some version of an arts and sciences degree so might be worth looking into those?

I believe the KCL one is more focused around arts/humanities so maybe not ideal if you're into bio/other sciences However, would definitely recommend looking into Surrey/Bham (I had friends who did Liberal Arts/Sciences at UoB and they really enjoyed it!) - the core structure might be a little different to BASc as that is a flagship UCL course though.

Also as mentioned do look into the 'widening participation' criteria at UCL - sometimes they will lower the offers depending on your circumstances/school (although I do have to say that I very rarely heard of this happening sadly).

Hope that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (275)
56.35%
I don't have everything I need (213)
43.65%

Watched Threads