Meganlee2791
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Well I’m currently in second year of my veterinary nursing degree and realised I don’t want to be a nurse I want to be a vet.. yikes. I’m definitely going to finish my degree in veterinary nursing but I was wondering can I then apply for veterinary medicine? Or is it more complicated than this any advice would be great full

To add - the practice I’m at now and the practices I’ve worked at look down on nurses wanting to be vets and they believe it shouldn’t be done as they’re completely different job roles, which I agree with, however I wanted to be a vet nurse when starting the degree but I’ve realised my interest is more in equine/large animal practices and with my nursing I’m sort of capped at being a vet nurse in small animal.
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Meganlee2791)
Well I’m currently in second year of my veterinary nursing degree and realised I don’t want to be a nurse I want to be a vet.. yikes. I’m definitely going to finish my degree in veterinary nursing but I was wondering can I then apply for veterinary medicine? Or is it more complicated than this any advice would be great full

To add - the practice I’m at now and the practices I’ve worked at look down on nurses wanting to be vets and they believe it shouldn’t be done as they’re completely different job roles, which I agree with, however I wanted to be a vet nurse when starting the degree but I’ve realised my interest is more in equine/large animal practices and with my nursing I’m sort of capped at being a vet nurse in small animal.
As far as I know, you can't do vet med (postgrad) with a vet nursing degree...only ways to vet med is to either have biovet science or zoology (as far as my knowledge goes). I'm just wondering why it took your second year of VN to figure out you wanna be a vet....but each to their own. Hope you get where you want to be. Maybe just check out unis to see if they do take in VN to do VM PG.
Meganlee2791
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wannabevetnurse)
As far as I know, you can't do vet med (postgrad) with a vet nursing degree...only ways to vet med is to either have biovet science or zoology (as far as my knowledge goes). I'm just wondering why it took your second year of VN to figure out you wanna be a vet....but each to their own. Hope you get where you want to be. Maybe just check out unis to see if they do take in VN to do VM PG.
I’m not going to lie I didn’t look into what I wanted to do at all - at my sixth form they pushed you to going to uni and I didn’t know what I wanted to do so didn’t apply until I panicked on results day and applied for vet nursing as it was one of the only animal related courses in clearing.
home ed
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Meganlee2791)
I’m not going to lie I didn’t look into what I wanted to do at all - at my sixth form they pushed you to going to uni and I didn’t know what I wanted to do so didn’t apply until I panicked on results day and applied for vet nursing as it was one of the only animal related courses in clearing.
check out this website below: this lady is a vet nurse who started a vet med degree in 2020. It is possible. I think a lot depends on whether you have the A-level grades for entry or a good 2(i) or first class degree.
https://scrubmentors.wixsite.com/home/home
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you have the A level requirements there is nothing stopping you applying to most 5 year veterinary degrees but this would be the full 5 year programme not a shortened 4 year course.

As an overall rule vet schools are not the biggest fan as it can show indecisiveness and a lack of research... but on the flip side it can show your true determination to be a vet as you have undertaken another degree to get to that level so its very much how you present it to them
Meganlee2791
Rep:
?
(Original post by home ed)
check out this website below: this lady is a vet nurse who started a vet med degree in 2020. It is possible. I think a lot depends on whether you have the A-level grades for entry or a good 2(i) or first class degree.
https://scrubmentors.wixsite.com/home/home
Thank you and I do I have quite good a levels and hopefully aiming towards a first
megan a002
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello, I’m at Hartpury university and am studying equine veterinary nursing because I really would like to work with Equine’s xxx
savannahpoar03
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Royal Veterinary College London do an accelerated vet medicine course that you can apply to with a degree in vet nursing!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (293)
55.7%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.3%

Watched Threads