Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've reduced the representation consisting of the p orbitals to in (I defined yz as being the plane of the molecule).

I got the symmetry orbital correctly for and for I got and

These give the correct energies when you solve the secular equations, but getting the coefficients of the symmetry orbitals to generate the MOs results in some rather messy sums of surds and the like. Is this correct?

lol why don't you ask a hard question? :p:

The allyl radical has three MO's doesn't it? 1 bonding, 1 non-bonding and 1 anti-bonding?

E_1 = a+\sqrt{2}b => \psi_1 = 0.5\phi_1 + \sqrt{0.5}\phi_2 + 0.5\phi_3

E_2 = a => \psi_2 = \sqrt{0.5}\phi_1 - \sqrt{0.5}\phi_3

E_3 = a-\sqrt{2}b => \psi_3 = 0.5\phi_1 - \sqrt{0.5}\phi_2 + 0.5\phi_3

or am I completely missing your question?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, sorry...I wasn't very clear. I got the correct coefficients for the AOs in the MOs, it was just for the coefficients of the symmetry orbitals I mentioned in the final MOs. They seem a little messy...

Yeah, I'm not going to be of much help...sorry

ReputationRep:
    No worries...I can work it out by solving simultaneous equations...it just seems strange that it appears to be more calculated to use symmetry to solve it than to just solve the secular equations using the AOs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Yeah, I'm not going to be of much help...sorry
    I realised what I've done...mixed non-equivalent atomic orbitals to make symmetry orbitals. :o: I spent a while trying to work out why the projection operator was "wrong" too...good job I'm getting back into practice.

(Original post by Kyle_S-C)
    I realised what I've done...mixed non-equivalent atomic orbitals to make symmetry orbitals. :o: I spent a while trying to work out why the projection operator was "wrong" too...good job I'm getting back into practice.
    Ahh i see, no wonder you were getting odd coefficents...its very easy to get out of practice with things like representation theory, SALCs and the like. I wasn't going to embarrass myself even attempting it :p:

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.