Personal Statement on Aerospace engineering and Physics? Help!?

Watch
1pikapikachu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I'm writing my personal statement, I want to study either Aerospace engineering or Physics. However, I can't decide which one exactly, so I would like to apply for both and in the meantime, (if I get offers from both fields), it will give me more time to exactly decide.

However, writing the personal statement became problematic, I want to set out the statement in such a way that it can be considered for both. But I'm not sure how to do this.
Any ideas?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Focus on skills. Include ones like teamwork etc.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can't really write a decent PS that covers both. Your intro should say something akin to 'I want to study physics/engineering because...' - and this doesn't work for two different (albeit closely linked) courses. Engineering courses are usually accredited as well
CaitlinDeCat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, I wrote a personal statement that has given me offers for Civil Engineering, Urban Planning and an interview for Human Social Political Science. So it is definitely possible to keep your options open- it's just going to be a pain to write.

I personally wrote about issues that could be solved in multiple ways. Like you could solve a problem with legislation or you could solve it with engineering etc.

I'd suggest talking about the cross overs in the two subjects. For example, you need to understand physics for Aerospace engineering. However, maybe your interest in physics was developed through an interest in Aircraft/Spacecraft? Maybe try talking about what types of careers you would like from these subjects? I could potentially see maths as a cross over, so potentially milk anything you have about maths? Maybe say you love having a diverse education and you enjoy multiple sectors of Physics and you have picked the sector that your most engaged with (not that they will know you have picked different courses).
1pikapikachu
Rep:
?
(Original post by CaitlinDeCat)
Honestly, I wrote a personal statement that has given me offers for Civil Engineering, Urban Planning and an interview for Human Social Political Science. So it is definitely possible to keep your options open- it's just going to be a pain to write.

I personally wrote about issues that could be solved in multiple ways. Like you could solve a problem with legislation or you could solve it with engineering etc.

I'd suggest talking about the cross overs in the two subjects. For example, you need to understand physics for Aerospace engineering. However, maybe your interest in physics was developed through an interest in Aircraft/Spacecraft? Maybe try talking about what types of careers you would like from these subjects? I could potentially see maths as a cross over, so potentially milk anything you have about maths? Maybe say you love having a diverse education and you enjoy multiple sectors of Physics and you have picked the sector that your most engaged with (not that they will know you have picked different courses).
Thank you for this amazing reply, definitely gave me a certain idea on what to write, my role now is only to develop it and try to add certain extra points to it
I knew that it's possible, as everything is, however my only problem was, on what it would be exactly on.
Thanks again
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1pikapikachu)
Thank you for this amazing reply, definitely gave me a certain idea on what to write, my role now is only to develop it and try to add certain extra points to it
I knew that it's possible, as everything is, however my only problem was, on what it would be exactly on.
Thanks again
It's important to note that just because it was successful for one person doesn't mean that it is recommended or it will work for you. But at the end of the day, it's your personal statement and your risk to take.
1pikapikachu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
It's important to note that just because it was successful for one person doesn't mean that it is recommended or it will work for you. But at the end of the day, it's your personal statement and your risk to take.
It's obvious in my opinion, however, I have to say that it's either not recommended or recommended, it's a pretty common thing throughout people/students/applicants.
I was just looking for ideas linking 2 courses.
And in my opinion, as the opinion of my fellow friends and teachers, an effective PS doesn't have to heavily apply to one choice, but it can just simply cover them all.
Even UCAS says the same:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...ltiple-courses
Last edited by 1pikapikachu; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (240)
56.87%
I don't have everything I need (182)
43.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise