Freewave
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone know the best Russel group unis for biology bachelor degrees, and by best I mean the easiest to get into. I understand this may not be a straightforward question but any insight is appreciated a lot

Thankyou
J.swift
Badges: 14
Report 1 month ago
Tbh I think "best Russell group unis" and "easiest to get into" are mutually exclusive. If you want to go to the best Russell group unis for biology, they will not be easier to get into because they will have high entry requirements. The best for biological sciences and similar related degrees are Cambridge, oxford, imperial, ucl and for these the entry requirements are A*A*A to AAA. However, the easiest to get into are the lower ranked russell group unis for this subject area e.g. nottingham, newcastle, queens, cardiff etc.
Freewave
Rep:
?
(Original post by J.swift)
Tbh I think "best Russell group unis" and "easiest to get into" are mutually exclusive. If you want to go to the best Russell group unis for biology, they will not be easier to get into because they will have high entry requirements. The best for biological sciences and similar related degrees are Cambridge, oxford, imperial, ucl and for these the entry requirements are A*A*A to AAA. However, the easiest to get into are the lower ranked russell group unis for this subject area e.g. nottingham, newcastle, queens, cardiff etc.
Ok I understand, thanks for the help
Nitrosomonas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are the range of grades you hope/expect to achieve?
I would suggest a course with an industrial placement too - it's fantastic for employability and gives you a year of experience on top of colleagues.
AndyChow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nitrosomonas)
I would suggest a course with an industrial placement too - it's fantastic for employability and gives you a year of experience on top of colleagues.
I second this, nowadays a 3-year BSc in biomed will only qualify you for washing test tubes.
If OP means traditional biology then there really isn't much job prospect to speak of.
Freewave
Rep:
?
(Original post by AndyChow)
I second this, nowadays a 3-year BSc in biomed will only qualify you for washing test tubes.
If OP means traditional biology then there really isn't much job prospect to speak of.
Yeah I was thinking of most within the bio field (I’m not that fussed as I enjoy most of it), but I’ve kinda swept this issue aside
Freewave
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nitrosomonas)
I would suggest a course with an industrial placement too - it's fantastic for employability and gives you a year of experience on top
Well as of now I’m in year 14, and I did my October exams (the ones that were pushed back due to corona) and I messed up my maths and geog but I think an A or B is achievable in biology, and I hope to get at least Bs in the other two in summer
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look at Bristol, York and Cardiff - lower application rates and often generous if you are a near miss in August.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (197)
57.43%
I don't have everything I need (146)
42.57%

Watched Threads