maya_jai_singh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey,

Was doing some research when I encountered a definition on a^b which states that this is the number of sets of b elements which can be chosen from a set of a elements. So 2^1 = 2 because the number of sets of 1 element which can be chosen from a set of 2 elements is 2. But then if we think of 2^2, this is defined as the number of sets of 2 elements that can be chosen from a set of 2 elements. Surely this is just 1? But then 2^2 = 4 so I'm confused how the definition works in this case.

Sorry if I'm being really silly, below is the website I am using for reference.

https://brilliant.org/wiki/what-is-00/

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much!
qweqworiet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Think about the order you are choosing them
maya_jai_singh
Rep:
?
(Original post by qweqworiet)
Think about the order you are choosing them
So, if we have a set of 2 elements call them A, B and we need to find the number of way of choosing 2 elements from this set then surely we can have A, B or B,A hence 2^2 = 2? But how is that equal to 4?

So sorry if I'm being silly once again.
qweqworiet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What about AA and BB?
Are you sure they weren’t talking about aCb?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by maya_jai_singh)
Hey,

Was doing some research when I encountered a definition on a^b which states that this is the number of sets of b elements which can be chosen from a set of a elements. So 2^1 = 2 because the number of sets of 1 element which can be chosen from a set of 2 elements is 2. But then if we think of 2^2, this is defined as the number of sets of 2 elements that can be chosen from a set of 2 elements. Surely this is just 1? But then 2^2 = 4 so I'm confused how the definition works in this case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much!
Can't access that website as you need to log in.

Really need to see the original material you've got that definition from, as the terminology you've used is not consistent with that definition which may be what's causing your issue. As you say, there is only one set of 2 elements where those elements are taken from a set of 2 elements.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 1 month ago
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I'd be careful about what sites you trust. I think that definition is wrong.

It would be better to think of m^n as the number of ordered n-tuples (an n-tuple is just an ordered set of n elements) with elements 1,2, ..., m. e.g. when m = 2, n = 2, you'd have (1, 1), (1, 2), (2, 1), (2, 2).

There's some somewhat more formal discussion here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation#Over_sets

(Original post by ghostwalker)

Really need to see the original material you've got that definition from, as the terminology you've used is not consistent with that definition which may be what's causing your issue. As you say, there is only one set of 2 elements where those elements are taken from a set of 2 elements.
The wording on the site (I didn't need to log in) is:

"0^0 represents the empty product (the number of sets of 0 elements that can be chosen from a set of 0 elements), which by definition is 1. This is also the same reason why anything else raised to the power of 0 is 1."

Which to my mind is unambiguously wrong (I can't really find a way of looking at it that isn't wrong). Edit: I guess you can weasel out of "wrong" by saying "chosen works here and there was no implication it worked for numbers larger than 0".
Last edited by DFranklin; 1 month ago
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
Got in now - by clicking outside the login overlay. Ta.
qweqworiet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So it is not talking about any a^b but only ^0
maya_jai_singh
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
I'd be careful about what sites you trust. I think that definition is wrong.

It would be better to think of m^n as the number of ordered n-tuples (an n-tuple is just an ordered set of n elements) with elements 1,2, ..., m. e.g. when m = 2, n = 2, you'd have (1, 1), (1, 2), (2, 1), (2, 2).

There's some somewhat more formal discussion here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation#Over_sets

"0^0 represents the empty product (the number of sets of 0 elements that can be chosen from a set of 0 elements), which by definition is 1. This is also the same reason why anything else raised to the power of 0 is 1."

Which to my mind is unambiguously wrong (I can't really find a way of looking at it that isn't wrong). Edit: I guess you can weasel out of "wrong" by saying "chosen works here and there was no implication it worked for numbers larger than 0".
This makes so much more sense to me! Thank you so much. So for 0^0, this would be defined as the number of ordered set of 0 elements with element 0? But if we have 0 elements in a set, we cannot have the element 0 in that set. So would 0^0 = 1 hold for the definition you have mentioned?

Thanks so much once again though for taking out your time, means a lot.

So if we had 0^0 this would be the number of ordered 0-tuples with elements 0 but then surely this is 0 as we cannot have 0 sets of 0 elements?
maya_jai_singh
Rep:
?
(Original post by qweqworiet)
So it is not talking about any a^b but only ^0
Ahh ok, thank you so much for helping me out!
maya_jai_singh
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)

Yeah you're right, I do think the definition caught me out. Cheers, means a lot!
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This makes so much more sense to me! Thank you so much. So for 0^0, this would be defined as the number of ordered set of 0 elements with element 0? But if we have 0 elements in a set, we cannot have the element 0 in that set. So would 0^0 = 1 hold for the definition you have mentioned?

Thanks so much once again though for taking out your time, means a lot.

So if we had 0^0 this would be the number of ordered 0-tuples with elements 0 but then surely this is 0 as we cannot have 0 sets of 0 elements?
The empty set has no elements. So there is one set with no elements.

Edit: if you're wanting arguments for "why might we want 0^0 = 1", there's an argument similar to the binomial theorem,, but much more general. It is very common to define a general polynomial p(x) in the form p(x) = \sum_0^n a_n x^n, which is (implicitly) saying that a_0 x^0 = a_0 for all choices of x including x = 0. (and so assumes 0^0 = 1).
Last edited by DFranklin; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (74)
17.75%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
29.02%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (157)
37.65%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.47%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.12%

Watched Threads