wrong/offensive or just a joke?

Watch
baby.bear
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so one of my friends is black and she sometimes makes jokes about me being white like “oh that’s white people food” or “shut up white chocolate” and we just laugh it off. i do not make the same jokes back as it could be seen as racist and i do not want to be racist in any way!

yesterday i was speaking about my grades and she randomly interrupted me and said “nobody cares you white ...” (she swore but i won’t type it here haha)

my other friend asked why she had to bring race into it, and she basically went on a rant saying that she hates white people for being racist.

i have never once been racist and neither has my other friend. we asked her if she hates us and she just said “well yeah, you’re white”

we laughed it off and everything is ok now. im just wondering if i said something wrong to make her say this? i find what she said quite hurtful seeing as we have never been racist? am i wrong and selfish to feel this way?

i really don’t want to offend or upset anyone so if someone has any advice or anything i would really appreciate it!
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, sounds like she's just been spending too much time on Twitter, if she keeps being a cretin though, you may need to get rid.
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by baby.bear)
so one of my friends is black and she sometimes makes jokes about me being white like “oh that’s white people food” or “shut up white chocolate” and we just laugh it off. i do not make the same jokes back as it could be seen as racist and i do not want to be racist in any way!

yesterday i was speaking about my grades and she randomly interrupted me and said “nobody cares you white ...” (she swore but i won’t type it here haha)

my other friend asked why she had to bring race into it, and she basically went on a rant saying that she hates white people for being racist.

i have never once been racist and neither has my other friend. we asked her if she hates us and she just said “well yeah, you’re white”

we laughed it off and everything is ok now. im just wondering if i said something wrong to make her say this? i find what she said quite hurtful seeing as we have never been racist? am i wrong and selfish to feel this way?

i really don’t want to offend or upset anyone so if someone has any advice or anything i would really appreciate it!
shes rude. Ditch her and move on.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
She admits to hating you because you're white. Why are you guys friends again?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
She’s not a good friend - she has literally admitted to hating you simply because of your race, which is something you have no choice in.

I would distance myself.
baby.bear
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
No, sounds like she's just been spending too much time on Twitter, if she keeps being a cretin though, you may need to get rid.
im not too sure what’s on Twitter haha but I’m assuming you mean all the jokes against white people that started on there??
c1student
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you've done anything wrong! it's just rude tbh
maybe tell them you don't like it - they might just think you find it funny ..? who knows idk why tho
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How old is she? :confused:
She sounds unpleasant.
But might be an immature attention seeker with an outrageous sense of humour.
baby.bear
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabertooth)
She admits to hating you because you're white. Why are you guys friends again?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
She’s not a good friend - she has literally admitted to hating you simply because of your race, which is something you don’t choose.

I would distance myself.
yeah this is what I’m thinking! ive never done or said anything to make her hate me and she says it’s simply because of my race. it’s just an awkward situation to be in i guess
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
im not too sure what’s on Twitter haha but I’m assuming you mean all the jokes against white people that started on there??
Yes, essentially and critical race theory.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hating someone on the basis of their race. There is a word for that...
baby.bear
Rep:
?
(Original post by c1student)
you've done anything wrong! it's just rude tbh
maybe tell them you don't like it - they might just think you find it funny ..? who knows idk why tho
we mentioned that we don’t see why she would hate us because of our skin colour but she just told us she isn’t racist because she’s black and we are white so idek ahah
baby.bear
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
How old is she? :confused:
She sounds unpleasant.
But might be an immature attention seeker with an outrageous sense of humour.
she’s 18. she’s always been quite loud and obnoxious but never said anything like this before
baby.bear
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
Yes, essentially and critical race theory.
ah okay!!
c1student
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
we mentioned that we don’t see why she would hate us because of our skin colour but she just told us she isn’t racist because she’s black and we are white so idek ahah
she doesn't like you bc of your skin colour but she says she isn't racist wtf
baby.bear
Rep:
?
(Original post by c1student)
she doesn't like you bc of your skin colour but she says she isn't racist wtf
yeah this is where I’m confused!

i don’t want to say something wrong but i thought racism was discrimination due to someone’s race. so her hating me for being white is racist? but she claims she can’t be because “you can’t oppress the oppressor” so idk
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Complete rubbish, I hate this mindset.
How about people stop discriminating others for features they cannot control, and start judging people on things which are in their control for example personality and behaviour.
c1student
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

i don’t want to say something wrong but i thought racism was discrimination due to someone’s race. so her hating me for being white is racist? but she claims she can’t be because “you can’t oppress the oppressor” so idk
omg pls ditch her
baby.bear
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Complete rubbish, I hate this mindset.
How about people stop discriminating others for features they cannot control, and start judging people on things which are in their control for example personality and behaviour.
i agree! she told me that she “can’t oppress the oppressor” but i thought racism was just discrimination because of someone’s race? i could be wrong so i should probably research more!
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

There is individual racism and systematic. White people do not face systematic but what your friend is saying is by definition, racist. Making it individual.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
14.18%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (35)
24.82%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
43.26%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (21)
14.89%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed