mse97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I currently hold an offer to study Bsc in Economics with the University of London (distance learning). However, I am unable to fund this course through SLC as I have already spent two years in two different uni's and the outcome was nothing (I mainly went just to escape life at home and wanted a breather, so took the offer alongside with student loan to live by myself for a bit). When I applied for finance, my application was rejected as I did not have enough years of funding to cover the course; and that the only way to get an extra year of funding was to prove that there were excruciating circumstances that lead to failures of those academic years in uni. I really don't, I didn't sit a single exam for my first year at one uni and only went to exams on the first semester for the other. I welcome any insights from anyone regarding this issue, thanks!

Also, please no one say ''why don't you explore other ventures in life...''. I already made up my mind on what I want to do so let's keep the points on this matter only.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mse97)
Hi,

I currently hold an offer to study Bsc in Economics with the University of London (distance learning). However, I am unable to fund this course through SLC as I have already spent two years in two different uni's and the outcome was nothing (I mainly went just to escape life at home and wanted a breather, so took the offer alongside with student loan to live by myself for a bit). When I applied for finance, my application was rejected as I did not have enough years of funding to cover the course; and that the only way to get an extra year of funding was to prove that there were excruciating circumstances that lead to failures of those academic years in uni. I really don't, I didn't sit a single exam for my first year at one uni and only went to exams on the first semester for the other. I welcome any insights from anyone regarding this issue, thanks!

Also, please no one say ''why don't you explore other ventures in life...''. I already made up my mind on what I want to do so let's keep the points on this matter only.
Hi there, it is correct you will have to self fund if you don't have Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm

Student can receive funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study.
You could look at studying part time.

Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (51)
18.35%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (78)
28.06%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (102)
36.69%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (37)
13.31%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.6%

Watched Threads