The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
deadgenius
having been to a catholic school, I have found that there is a lot of anti-catholicism coming from the catholics, me included. For me, it is because of having been forced into religion, forced to go to church etc, etc that drove me away from it and made me hate it. I don't agree with organised religions. I wonder if this is the case for other (ex-)catholics
I experienced that as well. I grew up as a "Catholic", and the only anti-Catholicism sentiments I ever experienced were from other "Catholics". And since then, the written attacks I have seen against Catholics have not been as strong as those I saw ex-Catholics deliver verbally to other Catholics!

I don't think these cases are in any way unique; I would think it is a surprisingly common phenomenon.
Kolya
In the present day, I have not detected any such general sentiment. Perhaps in the past, but certainly not now.

You'd really contest that there is strong sentiment against the EU (such as not embracing the Euro) and about just how much influence the US is having on our political decisions?
Reply 22
SomeNextPirate
You'd really contest that there is strong sentiment against the EU (such as not embracing the Euro) and about just how much influence the US is having on our political decisions?
No, I wouldn't contest that. I would contest that there is a strong sentiment for "we do not acknowledge any higher (mortal) authority over ourselves than our country."
Reply 23
Melancholy
In my experience they tended to keep themselves to themselves. It's usually the Protestant strands, in my opinion, which merit that title.

Of course, the Jews aren't all that abrasive either, but they're discriminated against.

In my experience, the protestant churches are more liberal when you think about issues such as homosexuality, contraception, abortions etc.
or at least much less vocal/active
Kolya
No, I wouldn't contest that. I would contest that there is a strong sentiment for "we do not acknowledge any higher (mortal) authority over ourselves than our country."

Really?

That's not the feeling I get from most people I talk to, most are quite disgusted (perhaps a little strong but you get the idea) of how much we bend to other countries laws and rules - especially in regards to the EU.
And most (albeit a smaller amount) really do not like that we are so close to America.

Seeing as these are the only real 'incursions' recently onto our sovereignty in recent times I wouldn't really know how I could justify (to myself) how people could be thinking in any other way.
Reply 25
Not sure - I'm anti Catholic but I'm also anti religious in general, though I am close friends with many Christians. I just don't like biggotry, and beliving Homosexuals should not achieve equal marriage is exactly that whichever way you look at it.

I'm anti-faith schools because a child should not be brought up in a religion, because it makes it all the harder for them think clearly when they are old enough to decide properly. Even a Christian friend agreed with me that if Christianity was truly correct and valid, a child should be able to have been brought up NEVER having being told God exists, and simply saying 'there are some Christians in the world who believe this...'. Then at 16 being asked if they think a religion is correct or whether they would like to join one. Of course a Christian family would hardly EVER agree not to bring their child up in their faith, or take them to church with them when young, because they are fully aware that the chances are the child wouldn't turn out a Christian in later life, let's face it.

Furthermore, you wouldn't put a child in a Tory or a Labour school based on their parents' political persuasion, so it's equally repulsive to place the child in an school based on the parents' faith. If the faith was valid it just wouldn't be need because it would be self evident.

Of course people will provide anecdotes about how their case varies from the above, and how it wasn't forced down their throats, and how they were never made to go to church, but these are in the minority. Having your parents tell you they are committed Christians automatically makes the concept more real and palatable, in the same way that if a parent told a child of 2 to jump off a cliff it would probably do it.
Reply 26
I think there is a lot of anti-catholicism... Maybe because of history, or just the perceptions of the 21st century - that perhaps those who preach Catholicism are creating boundaries for the ever growing number of British atheists. I'm sure other religions also feel maybe a few grudges towards the Pope and his church.
I'm also anti-religious in general and I dislike Catholicism more than the other mainstream religions due to their homophobia etc.

Having said that, I can't help but see all religious people as weird (not that I go around telling them that) so I treat them equally (except the extremists of course).
Reply 28
SomeNextPirate
Really?

That's not the feeling I get from most people I talk to, most are quite disgusted (perhaps a little strong but you get the idea) of how much we bend to other countries laws and rules - especially in regards to the EU.
And most (albeit a smaller amount) really do not like that we are so close to America.
I was not referring to nations, but rather to ideologies and the people or countries who support them. The problem with Catholicism was that if the Pope's orders contravened those of the government then the Catholic would follow the Pope. In the same way, if someone's "ideological leaders" are attacked, or the UK's laws or government come into serious conflict with that person's beliefs then I think many would defend their ideological beliefs rather than the commands of the government. I don't know what your ideological background is, but if the government launched a serious attack on my beliefs - for example it tried to kill prominent secular humanists, or it attacked a secular country solely because of its secularism, or I was conscripted to fight in a war for the government based on beliefs that went against my humanism, then I would refuse, and communicate with the secular humanist community to bring about a suitable punishment for the government.

Perhaps you hold some ideological beliefs that would, ultimately, have your loyalty rather than the government's?

There are fewer "flashpoints" now than in the past, but if one arose, what would you do?
gamer91
In my experience, the protestant churches are more liberal when you think about issues such as homosexuality, contraception, abortions etc.
or at least much less vocal/active

Yes, on the whole Catholics are a lot more conservative in their approach to abortion and homosexuality and those issues. That doesn't always transpire to being vocal.
Reply 30
SolInvictus
The very anti-Catholic slurs people know of back this up. Papist, Romanism

Are those slurs? At best, so far as I can see, it ignores certain aspects of their faith, a bit like the old (but very widespread) practice of calling Muslims "Muhammadans", but I don't see how they're fundamentally insulting.
Kolya
I was not referring to nations, but rather to ideologies and the people or countries who support them. The problem with Catholicism was that if the Pope's orders contravened those of the government then the Catholic would follow the Pope. In the same way, if someone's "ideological leaders" are attacked, or the UK's laws or government come into serious conflict with that person's beliefs then I think many would defend their ideological beliefs rather than the commands of the government. I don't know what your ideological background is, but if the government launched a serious attack on my beliefs - for example it tried to kill prominent secular humanists, or it attacked a secular country solely because of its secularism, or I was conscripted to fight in a war for the government based on beliefs that went against my humanism, then I would refuse, and communicate with the secular humanist community to bring about a suitable punishment for the government.

Perhaps you hold some ideological beliefs that would, ultimately, have your loyalty rather than the government's?

There are fewer "flashpoints" now than in the past, but if one arose, what would you do?

But that's not what we are talking about in this thread, and introducing extreme circumstances are obviously going to be different to the norm. We are talking about does Britain anti-catholic on the whole. I contested that it wasn't so much about being anti-catholic as much as placing yourself at a higher authority than the country, making you aloof from everyone else.

Besides, what you are describing is exactly what I am talking about. You and your beliefs would be in the minority, hence the majority which is basically labelled as "Britain" in this thread would resent you for that.

Look at pacifists during the world war, those who refused to fight for their beliefs, shot and looked down on for their beliefs. Were they looked down on because they merely would not fight OR were they looked down upon because people perceived those who would not fight as saying they were holding themselves above others - and thus being better.
Reply 32
Kolya
I was not referring to nations, but rather to ideologies and the people or countries who support them. The problem with Catholicism was that if the Pope's orders contravened those of the government then the Catholic would follow the Pope.

They wouldn't be ideologically obliged to - except perhaps in the very rare occasions that the Pope was acting ex cathedra - and I can think of several occasions where numerous Catholics have gone very much against the Pope without lessening their attachment to the faith.
L i b
They wouldn't be ideologically obliged to - except perhaps in the very rare occasions that the Pope was acting ex cathedra - and I can think of several occasions where numerous Catholics have gone very much against the Pope without lessening their attachment to the faith.

That is true, but prejudice is very rarely based on fact. It is the perception of others that leads to their discrimination of others or anti-x feelings.
Reply 34
SomeNextPirate
But that's not what we are talking about in this thread, and introducing extreme circumstances are obviously going to be different to the norm. We are talking about does Britain anti-catholic on the whole. I contested that it wasn't so much about being anti-catholic as much as placing yourself at a higher authority than the country, making you aloof from everyone else.

Besides, what you are describing is exactly what I am talking about. You and your beliefs would be in the minority, hence the majority which is basically labelled as "Britain" in this thread would resent you for that.
I don't think my beliefs would be in the minority, hence my thought that placing yourself "at a higher authority than the country" is a strange reason for being anti-Catholic when many other people hold beliefs that would place them in similar positions.

Look at pacifists during the world war, those who refused to fight for their beliefs, shot and looked down on for their beliefs. Were they looked down on because they merely would not fight OR were they looked down upon because people perceived those who would not fight as saying they were holding themselves above others - and thus being better.
Times have changed since WWII.
Kolya
I don't think my beliefs would be in the minority, hence my thought that placing yourself "at a higher authority than the country" is a strange reason for being anti-Catholic when many other people hold beliefs that would place them in similar positions.

If they weren't in the minority then the government wouldn't be acting on the countries behalf - hence why rebellions occur.

Kolya
Times have changed since WWII.

Aye? You really need to find some proof to back up your claims. I see no evidence that suggest people are in favour of handing power from themselves, and the government to outside sources. In fact the ONLY evidence I see is large resentment in such actions.
Reply 36
SomeNextPirate
If they weren't in the minority then the government wouldn't be acting on the countries behalf - hence why rebellions occur.

Aye? You really need to find some proof to back up your claims. I see no evidence that suggest people are in favour of handing power from themselves, and the government to outside sources. In fact the ONLY evidence I see is large resentment in such actions.
It is a simple proposition. The government only has someone's loyalty when the citizen's views correspond to those of the government. If the government changes its views then the citizen does not change their views, and so a conflict arises. If one is put in a position where the views come into serious conflict then the citizen would have loyalty to their views (and from whatever authority they come) rather than those of the government.

This is why the belief that some "has loyalty to their country" is, in most cases, nonsense. If the country's direction is greatly different from one's beliefs then the country becomes one's enemy. If British became synonymous with racist, belligerent, and genocidal, then I would feel nothing but animosity towards Britain, and would consider treason and treachery to be fair and justified. You could say that I believe I have an obligation to those who lead with reason and rationality, if they come into serious conflict with a government that is acting unreasonably.

So, Catholics recognize a higher authority than the country, but then so does almost everyone else; we all have a moral authority that transcends what the country commands us to do. (Or, at least, I would hope we do.)
Reply 37
British society is anti-religion in general
Kolya
It is a simple proposition. The government only has someone's loyalty when the citizen's views correspond to those of the government. If the government changes its views then the citizen does not change their views, and so a conflict arises. If one is put in a position where the views come into serious conflict then the citizen would have loyalty to their views (and from whatever authority they come) rather than those of the government.

This is why the belief that some "has loyalty to their country" is, in most cases, nonsense. If the country's direction is greatly different from one's beliefs then the country becomes one's enemy. If British became synonymous with racist, belligerent, and genocidal, then I would feel nothing but animosity towards Britain, and would consider treason and treachery to be fair and justified. You could say that I believe I have an obligation to those who lead with reason and rationality, if they come into serious conflict with a government that is acting unreasonably.

So, Catholics recognize a higher authority than the country, but then so does almost everyone else; we all have a moral authority that transcends what the country commands us to do. (Or, at least, I would hope we do.)

Country =/= government, in the sense that we are talking. The government is often a voice for the country but not always.

When people talk about loyalty to their country they don't always mean government, although it often means the same things as when it is being used the individual will often agree with the government's opinion on what the country should do.

People can have loyalty to their country and not the government, for instance resistances in Germany to the Nazis would argue they were always loyal to their country just not to the Nazis.

Therefore to be against ones country is different to being against the government, in our current state the government is elected by us fairly and as such rules over us. The Pope on the other hand is not elected by the British people yet for catholic people is arguably more important/has more power than even the Queen (our head of state). The same as the EU they are elected not just by the British but many other nations...
Anyway I am sure you can see where this is going.

Anyway, Whether it is a ridiculous belief or not, whether it is based on logic or not. Many people still are loyal to their country and saying that you acknowledge a higher authority than your country isn't really ever perceived (in my opinion) as a good thing.
To be honest I've never really noticed any anti-Catholicism.

I went to 2 Catholic primary schools, a Catholic high school, and a Catholic sixth form. I'm also partially Polish and have grown up around the Polish Catholic community in Leeds since I was very young.
The Polish Catholics tend to be quite devout really. My grandmother used to pray at least 10 times a day....EXTREMELY loudly. We used to even have the Polish priest come around to the house once a month to visit her and give her blessings and so on.

I've not known many CofE people to be honest. I've grown up immersed in Catholics and Jews, and oddly I've not noticed a conflict between the two at all. Every Jewish person I've ever known (and I've known a LOT) have been very accepting of Catholics. You'd expect that a greater conflict would be between these two religions, rather than between CofE and Catholics, but such is not the case that I've found.

So no, I've not experienced anti-Catholicism, thankfully.

Latest

Trending

Trending