The Student Room Group

University predicted grades

Hi It’s my first time posting on here, and i’m posting because i’m really scared of uni, and applying, my teachers have given me predicted grades of BBC which have utterly messed everything up for me, i wanted to apply to Kings and Queen mary, goldsmith and City university. I’ve had my heart set on kings for about a year now and the prediction of grades have really scared me, the course i’m applying for has an entry requirements of AAB, which, if my teachers predicted me one grade higher i would meet. My teachers will not raise the grades for me even though i can achieve them but i have some options

1 - the reason i’m applying for Kings is because i’m eligible for their contextual offers, and also mitigating circumstances as i did GCSE’s at home and i also have been diagnosed with depression since the age of 15 which may help my application, i also saw the stats for my course and 80% of people get offers since only 150 people applied for the course last year

- queen mary’s course is BBB, so only one grade off, however i only have four gcse’s and not the five i want, although i’m retaking my maths at college and i’m hoping to get a pass by next year (kings do not have any gcse requirements for my course)

i know honearly it’s not really looking good for me, but my personal statement is good (approved by my english lit teacher who was oxford educated) and my references i hope are going to be good

i did research and i saw somebody on here applied to a kings course with BBC and got on offer? this was about two years ago.. i’m really scared and this is my future so as you can tell i’m very stressed out, (pls don’t be mean about my predictions)
Original post by allymayj02
Hi It’s my first time posting on here, and i’m posting because i’m really scared of uni, and applying, my teachers have given me predicted grades of BBC which have utterly messed everything up for me, i wanted to apply to Kings and Queen mary, goldsmith and City university. I’ve had my heart set on kings for about a year now and the prediction of grades have really scared me, the course i’m applying for has an entry requirements of AAB, which, if my teachers predicted me one grade higher i would meet. My teachers will not raise the grades for me even though i can achieve them but i have some options

1 - the reason i’m applying for Kings is because i’m eligible for their contextual offers, and also mitigating circumstances as i did GCSE’s at home and i also have been diagnosed with depression since the age of 15 which may help my application, i also saw the stats for my course and 80% of people get offers since only 150 people applied for the course last year

- queen mary’s course is BBB, so only one grade off, however i only have four gcse’s and not the five i want, although i’m retaking my maths at college and i’m hoping to get a pass by next year (kings do not have any gcse requirements for my course)

i know honearly it’s not really looking good for me, but my personal statement is good (approved by my english lit teacher who was oxford educated) and my references i hope are going to be good

i did research and i saw somebody on here applied to a kings course with BBC and got on offer? this was about two years ago.. i’m really scared and this is my future so as you can tell i’m very stressed out, (pls don’t be mean about my predictions)

AAB is 3 grades higher not 1 grade higher.
If its not a competitive course they may offer to everyone who has a reasonable chance then use results day to actually make decisions.
Pinning your hopes on 1 university is never a good idea.
I also dont see how having depression will help your application, they wont discriminate against you but I cant see this incentivising them to give you an offer.
I recommend calling or emailing the admissions office - contextual offers are often made so don't panic this year is also especially weird so. Goldsmiths gave my friend an offer with ucas points (obviously depending on course) that was very low so dont worry about not going to uni bbc are good grades. if they dont give you an offer then work ur ass off for the actual exams an get better grades, on results day you can go through what is called clearing or adjustment and you can call these unis saying the grades you have meet their requirements and get in that way. I know this must be stressful af but there are always more ways in than what they say - keep calling them!
Reply 3
Original post by buzzybuzzybea
I recommend calling or emailing the admissions office - contextual offers are often made so don't panic this year is also especially weird so. Goldsmiths gave my friend an offer with ucas points (obviously depending on course) that was very low so dont worry about not going to uni bbc are good grades. if they dont give you an offer then work ur ass off for the actual exams an get better grades, on results day you can go through what is called clearing or adjustment and you can call these unis saying the grades you have meet their requirements and get in that way. I know this must be stressful af but there are always more ways in than what they say - keep calling them!

thankyou so much 🥺
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
AAB is 3 grades higher not 1 grade higher.
If its not a competitive course they may offer to everyone who has a reasonable chance then use results day to actually make decisions.
Pinning your hopes on 1 university is never a good idea.
I also dont see how having depression will help your application, they wont discriminate against you but I cant see this incentivising them to give you an offer.

Hi the fact i have depression will definitely help in terms of a decision for kings here is the form https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/policies-and-guidance/mitigating-circumstances , they will consider my circumstances in regards to my predicted grades!! you just need supporting evidence from a GP, which i have and also my college which are willing to help
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
This is for a change in circumstance in the direct run up to completing your A-level exams. This is if something occurs the week you sit you the exam papers.

not a generic thing that impacts receiving an offer.

Hi it’s actually not, that form was for both pre existing kings students for their exams and then circumstances for prospective students i got in touch with admissions and they confirmed that for me

Hey @allymayj02 :^_^: I think as long as you're not applying to universities that are all asking for AAB then I'd encourage you to still go for the course that you have your heart set on. Think carefully about your other choices (where possible look for a couple of courses asking for BBC) so that you know even if you don't get an offer from Kings that you may still have opportunities elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with having aspirational choices on your list as long as your other options are a bit 'safer' if you think of it like that.

It's totally normal to feel nervous about the next year when it comes to exams and getting yourself ready for university. Why not speak to your teachers to find out more about the reasoning behind your predicted grades? They've given you those for a reason and being able to work out what you can improve upon to boost your grades will hopefully really help.

It sounds like you're already well underway in doing your research and are asking the right questions, so as long as no-one from the universities you've spoken to has advised that they definitely would not be able to consider you then I'd say go for it. Be ready for tougher conditions than your other offers and to work hard in the run up to your A-Levels, I'm sure you already are! :smile:

Best of luck, you'll do great!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 7
If you are sure you could achieve those grades but your teachers won't budge on predictions, why not just apply post results with your grades?
Even with a BBC and a contextual offer, its highly unlikely you will get into Kings. 4 GCSES also do not look good. If you really think you can get an AAB, work hard and get those grades in your A levels, and then apply for adjustment. I am in a similar situation and this is what I am going to do. If you are applying to Kings, make sure you have other universities at your predicted grades you can fall back on. Also some good universities (Royal Holloway, Loughborough etc) do a foundation year which lowers the entry requirements but lets you study the same degree with a year of preparation before.
Reply 9
Original post by username128
Even with a BBC and a contextual offer, its highly unlikely you will get into Kings. 4 GCSES also do not look good. If you really think you can get an AAB, work hard and get those grades in your A levels, and then apply for adjustment. I am in a similar situation and this is what I am going to do. If you are applying to Kings, make sure you have other universities at your predicted grades you can fall back on. Also some good universities (Royal Holloway, Loughborough etc) do a foundation year which lowers the entry requirements but lets you study the same degree with a year of preparation before.

I understand but also i’m working towards getting a pass in my maths gcse so by the time i get to the uni i will have five gcse’s and there is no gcse requirements for the programme so?? Also the other units i’m applying for dont rlly have any gcse requirements
Hi the fact i have depression will definitely help in terms of a decision for kings here is the form https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/policies-and-guidance/mitigating-circumstances , they will consider my circumstances in regards to my predicted grades!! you just need supporting evidence from a GP, which i have and also my college which are willing to help

That's not really how it works. It's mitigating circumstances so for example if you were an extremely high achiever at GCSE with an exceptional personal statement but with a grade or two lower predicted it will be taken into consideration but it doesn't really help

Quick Reply

Latest