The Student Room Group

Lnat help!!

Hey, I started prep for my LNAT on Arbitio and I got 12 in my first MC section and 14 in my 2nd attempt. I know Arbitio is supposed to be a lot harder but a lot of people are saying they got 20+ ( and they think that’s bad)
I’m sitting my test on 8th Jan but I’m still super nervous

Also, for the essay- please tell me how to structure it!! Do I need to include statistics and make them up? Your help is really appreciated!!!
Reply 1
Original post by m_dihx
Hey, I started prep for my LNAT on Arbitio and I got 12 in my first MC section and 14 in my 2nd attempt. I know Arbitio is supposed to be a lot harder but a lot of people are saying they got 20+ ( and they think that’s bad)
I’m sitting my test on 8th Jan but I’m still super nervous

Also, for the essay- please tell me how to structure it!! Do I need to include statistics and make them up? Your help is really appreciated!!!

I'm gonna be brutally honest, that's not an exceptional score, even in the context of arbitio being harder. If you keep practicing, you'll probably be able to push it up a bit higher but at the end of the day it's an aptitude test and it's designed to test for your ability to think in a very specific way, so there's only so much you can do. Frankly, I'd just make sure I was applying to a couple of non-LNAT universities i'd be happy to go to. York, Warwick, Leeds, Manchester, QMUL etc. That way, if you do meet the highly competitive LNAT requirements to go to any of the places that require it, then it'll be a pleasant suprise.

Pearson don't mark the LNAT essay, it goes straight to universities hence there's no universal mark scheme and so there's no right answer to this, but what they want, generally, is a well structured argument that very clearly explains your point and has an understanding of the issue you're actually debating - that means don't just attack a strawman, actually develop an argument that shows understanding of real world issues and considerations. You shouldn't *need* fake statistics, and frankly even if they aren't fake, I don't think using them really demonstrates that you're good at arguing for anything. If there's a point where you really think that a statistic you know is relevant, go ahead and use it but to be perfectly honest if you're using it as a rhetorical crutch to make your argument seem stronger than it really is, then you'd be naive to think whoever's reading it won't notice that. Just my 2 cents.
Reply 2
Original post by edaram
I'm gonna be brutally honest, that's not an exceptional score, even in the context of arbitio being harder. If you keep practicing, you'll probably be able to push it up a bit higher but at the end of the day it's an aptitude test and it's designed to test for your ability to think in a very specific way, so there's only so much you can do. Frankly, I'd just make sure I was applying to a couple of non-LNAT universities i'd be happy to go to. York, Warwick, Leeds, Manchester, QMUL etc. That way, if you do meet the highly competitive LNAT requirements to go to any of the places that require it, then it'll be a pleasant suprise.

Pearson don't mark the LNAT essay, it goes straight to universities hence there's no universal mark scheme and so there's no right answer to this, but what they want, generally, is a well structured argument that very clearly explains your point and has an understanding of the issue you're actually debating - that means don't just attack a strawman, actually develop an argument that shows understanding of real world issues and considerations. You shouldn't *need* fake statistics, and frankly even if they aren't fake, I don't think using them really demonstrates that you're good at arguing for anything. If there's a point where you really think that a statistic you know is relevant, go ahead and use it but to be perfectly honest if you're using it as a rhetorical crutch to make your argument seem stronger than it really is, then you'd be naive to think whoever's reading it won't notice that. Just my 2 cents.

Thankyou a lot for the second part of your paragraph. The first part was really discouraging hahah, I don’t come from an area where big, fancy words ( such as in the LNAT) are really used so I think my first attempt at the test was trying to get to grips with some of the terminology. Hopefully I’ll get into UCL for law, I might reply back if I prove you wrong lol

Ty for the essay part
Reply 3
Original post by m_dihx
Thankyou a lot for the second part of your paragraph. The first part was really discouraging hahah, I don’t come from an area where big, fancy words ( such as in the LNAT) are really used so I think my first attempt at the test was trying to get to grips with some of the terminology. Hopefully I’ll get into UCL for law, I might reply back if I prove you wrong lol

Ty for the essay part

I seriously do wish you the best of luck with it :smile:. FWIW UCL put a lot more emphasis on the essay than the MQC so even if you still struggle with that you could be in with a very good chance if your essay and PS are great

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending