Jim 121
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm on 3 US in maths physics chemistry and my exams are in June. Is there time to pull it back I am motivated and have a plan now is there time to pull it back I want to get 3 As. I know bits but basically NOTHING. Is it possible
BigFawn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anything is very much possible, just you will have to put the work in for it, much more than u have done the past year, make a routine or schedule and make sure to keep to it - soon it won’t feel as much of a drag and u can crack on getting them As !
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Very possible.

Start off by sitting down in your chair and have a long think of why you want good grades. Write 3 reasons why you want good grades, constantly reflect on this every single day. Read it again and again.

Then see how far you’ll go.

Make a routine (not a time table) - revise weaker areas, study smart not hard.
Jim 121
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
Very possible.

Start off by sitting down in your chair and have a long think of why you want good grades. Write 3 reasons why you want good grades, constantly reflect on this every single day. Read it again and again.

Then see how far you’ll go.

Make a routine (not a time table) - revise weaker areas, study smart not hard.
Best advice I've heard in awhile... I'll post what I get in my a levels in 8 months time
gracieee16
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, of course ! If you stick to it everyday and work a few hours a day but make sure you take breaks as your brain will become exhausted and you should do some exercise like walking to fresh your brain up and perhaps create a timetable of when you're gonna do what
Rarest
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It will be hard as hell, but possible.
Firstly, why are you getting 3 Us?
If it is because you have tried to understand the work, but are struggling and even after this time you dont know very much then getting three As is a very tall order.
If it's just because you have been lazy, then it might be possible as you really don't know what your potential grades are.

Either way, one thing for sure is that you have a lot of catch up. You need to study effectively. I'll point you towards some general techniques and resources.
Before you start grinding, you need the fundamentals - Get 7-8 hours of sleep a day if you can, eat relatively well and stay hydrated and take breaks.

1) Rule of 8, your day has 24 hours, this rule just suggests 8 hours sleep/8 hours study/8 hours relaxing time. You can adjust to what suits you.
2) Pomodoro: Work 25 mins, 5 min break, Work 25 min, 5 min break, Work 25 min, 5 min break, Work 25min, 15 min break.

Never work for hours straight as your brain just becomes exhausted.

Fortunately for you, all of your subjects can be tackled with lots of practice:
Maths - Learn a topic via Textbook/Khan Academy. Then do practice questions from a textbook or physicsandmathstutor until you get the hang of it. At this stage, don't spend hours doing problems on a single topic, just do enough to get a grasp of the subject. After you have gone through the course, use your remaining maths revision time until the exams doing past paper questions and https://www.madasmaths.com/ the booklets from here.

These booklets usually contain 50-100+ questions in ascending order of difficulty, A/A* difficulty questions usually fall halfway. After a bit of this, you can just:
1. Do past paper
2. See where your weak points are
3. Use a booklet/practice question for that topic until you become better
4. Go back to step 1 and repeat until your exams

Physics - Same kind of method as above. Use https://umutech.net/
Chemistry - same as above, I dont have many resources for this but physicsandmathstutor is good. If you look hard enough, you can find 'Examsolutions' papers online and these have a goldmine of questions.

tldr -
1. Make sure you are keeping healthy
2. Go through content and do a few questions until you get okay at the topic and aim to finish the course as soon as you can
3. With the time you have left, grind questions until the exam.
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jim 121)
Best advice I've heard in awhile... I'll post what I get in my a levels in 8 months time
No problem, glad I helped you

I did the same thing man
Rarest
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rarest)
It will be hard as hell, but possible.
Firstly, why are you getting 3 Us?
If it is because you have tried to understand the work, but are struggling and even after this time you dont know very much then getting three As is a very tall order.
If it's just because you have been lazy, then it might be possible as you really don't know what your potential grades are.

Either way, one thing for sure is that you have a lot of catch up. You need to study effectively. I'll point you towards some general techniques and resources.
Before you start grinding, you need the fundamentals - Get 7-8 hours of sleep a day if you can, eat relatively well and stay hydrated and take breaks.

1) Rule of 8, your day has 24 hours, this rule just suggests 8 hours sleep/8 hours study/8 hours relaxing time. You can adjust to what suits you.
2) Pomodoro: Work 25 mins, 5 min break, Work 25 min, 5 min break, Work 25 min, 5 min break, Work 25min, 15 min break.

Never work for hours straight as your brain just becomes exhausted.

Fortunately for you, all of your subjects can be tackled with lots of practice:
Maths - Learn a topic via Textbook/Khan Academy. Then do practice questions from a textbook or physicsandmathstutor until you get the hang of it. At this stage, don't spend hours doing problems on a single topic, just do enough to get a grasp of the subject. After you have gone through the course, use your remaining maths revision time until the exams doing past paper questions and https://www.madasmaths.com/ the booklets from here.

These booklets usually contain 50-100+ questions in ascending order of difficulty, A/A* difficulty questions usually fall halfway. After a bit of this, you can just:
1. Do past paper
2. See where your weak points are
3. Use a booklet/practice question for that topic until you become better
4. Go back to step 1 and repeat until your exams

Physics - Same kind of method as above. Use https://umutech.net/
Chemistry - same as above, I dont have many resources for this but physicsandmathstutor is good. If you look hard enough, you can find 'Examsolutions' papers online and these have a goldmine of questions.

tldr -
1. Make sure you are keeping healthy
2. Go through content and do a few questions until you get okay at the topic and aim to finish the course as soon as you can
3. With the time you have left, grind questions until the exam.
*Just saw that you had a plan in your opening message,
If you feel like it will be effective and work for you, then stick to it - consistency is key!
I hope the question resources I have linked will help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads