False troll accusations

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why is it when someone asks something, there is ALWAYS at least one reply calling the OP a "troll"?

I'm not just saying this out of spite, either. I always get called a called a troll when Im actually posting a genuine post and I have seen other people get accused of being a troll so I just wondered if someone could define it's current meaning and explain why people waste their time calling someone a troll...?

Troll - someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community.

I bet some hilarious guy will post "Troll" or "why are you anon to this post while giggling to himself but just dont bother honestly.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you provide a link to one of your 'genuine threads' that have been dismissed as being troll-ery?

TBH I have seen several incidents of people prematurely accusing people of trolling.
Last edited by glassalice; 1 month ago
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It also applies to repeatedly timewasting and asking intentionally stupid questions and we get a lot of both, especially from the Anon #1 account which is constantly abused so people quite reasonably assume the worst about people using it.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Seeing as your abusing anonymous I can assume you're on the newer side, you may have just not seen the repeats in days/months prior. I dont typically see real genuine questions getting called troll.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by glassalice)
Can you provide a link to one of your 'genuine threads' that have been dismissed as being troll-ery?

TBH I have seen several incidents of people prematurely accusing people of trolling.
I don't want to because it will make things worse
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
Seeing as your abusing anonymous I can assume you're on the newer side, you may have just not seen the repeats in days/months prior. I dont typically see real genuine questions getting called troll.
How can you tell if they are genuine or not
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't want to because it will make things worse
Now that makes me *suspect* trolling.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
It also applies to repeatedly timewasting and asking intentionally stupid questions and we get a lot of both, especially from the Anon #1 account which is constantly abused so people quite reasonably assume the worst about people using it.
If you think they are a troll then don't reply and feed what you think is a troll it will save your time and it will help the op who actually might be genuine like I have but people don't believe me because someone has said troll
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How can you tell if they are genuine or not
If they're inflammatory, the story doesnt line up, the OP is being rude, its a repeat of questions that have been asked before, etc., its most likely a troll.
Anonymous #1
Now that makes me *suspect* trolling.
This is what im talking about
Anonymous #1
If they're inflammatory, the story doesnt line up, the OP is being rude, its a repeat of questions that have been asked before, etc., its most likely a troll.
I have repeated questions i admit it but its because I dont get responses or something like that or I might do another thread on the same topic
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you think they are a troll then don't reply and feed what you think is a troll it will save your time and it will help the op who actually might be genuine like I have but people don't believe me because someone has said troll
I'll do what I want, if you want to engage with the community more stop hiding from it, easy
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is what im talking about
I don't have enough information available to conclude that you are trolling. HOWEVER it is a distinct possibility.
Why wouldn't you show examples of threads where you have been wrongly accused?
Last edited by glassalice; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
I'll do what I want, if you want to engage with the community more stop hiding from it, easy
You can but I'll highly recommend to stop accusing people mate
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have repeated questions i admit it but its because I dont get responses or something like that or I might do another thread on the same topic
Bump the old thread rather than posting another, someone will definitely get back to you about your issue. Spam is annoying.
Anonymous #1
I don't have enough information available to conclude that you are trolling. HOWEVER it is a distinct possibility.
Why wouldn't you show examples of threads where you have been wrongly accused?
Because no one believe me that its not a troll and it will turn into an argument
Anonymous #1
Bump the old thread rather than posting another, someone will definitely get back to you about your issue. Spam is annoying.
You don't have to reply to it if its a repeat thread, not replying is better that just falsely accusing people of trolling
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can but I'll highly recommend to stop accusing people mate
Nah, my accusations are on the money prob 99%, I'd hear about it otherwise. From named users.
YaliaV123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where’s the fun in that?
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because no one believe me that its not a troll and it will turn into an argument
How many times has this happened to you?How long have you been on here?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.95%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.9%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (161)
37.53%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.59%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise