Nikitka
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
is It possible to become a barrister in UK with its degree? Or only soliciting (bc of the insane competition for being a barrister)
Last edited by Nikitka; 1 month ago
Ali_shah2019
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nikitka)
is It possible to become a barrister in UK with its degree? Or only soliciting ?
I’m pretty sure a law degree is required for becoming a barrister and solicitor. It’s what you choose to do later that decides which path you take. For becoming a solicitor you have to pass the Legal Practice Course (LPC) and for a barrister there’s the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC). That being said, the SRA have announced a SQE( Solicitors’ Qualifying Examination) to streamline the process for those who graduate in law and non-law degrees.
Peter76530
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ali_shah2019)
I’m pretty sure a law degree is required for becoming a barrister and solicitor. It’s what you choose to do later that decides which path you take. For becoming a solicitor you have to pass the Legal Practice Course (LPC) and for a barrister there’s the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC). That being said, the SRA have announced a SQE( Solicitors’ Qualifying Examination) to streamline the process for those who graduate in law and non-law degrees.
Do you know if going to Cardiff is worth going to over keele when keele is on my doorstep
Ali_shah2019
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Peter76530)
Do you know if going to Cardiff is worth going to over keele when keele is on my doorstep
Depends on so many things tbh. U have to evaluate your own situation.

The bottom line is, if you go to any Uni you’re getting a law degree out of it and that will enable you to pursue a career in law.

Now having a prestigious Uni might increase your chances of getting accepted at a firm/chambers for training which is essential if you want to qualify as a lawyer (training contract for solicitors and pupilage for barristers).

I’m pretty sure Keele and Cardiff are both Russel Group unis so shouldn’t be too much of an impact on ur career choosing one over the other. Maybe look at the courses of the 2 unis see If there are optional elements you prefer.

Another consideration might be geography. Since Keele is closer for you maybe worth going there (I assume you would be staying at home in that case). Some don’t like to stay and home and want to live independently which I completely understand too. Just depends on what you want to do.

In my case, I applied for 3 Unis that are in London (if I was to stay at home) and 2 Unis that are far (if I wanted to live independently). I’d enjoy both. Maybe independence is what I’m craving more tho rn.
soma.mehmood
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Omggg I want to go to Aberdeen!!! It actually comes up in the top ten for Law universities in some league tables so I wouldn’t say you’d be disadvantaged if you went there
Keele Student Ambassador1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Peter76530)
Hi Peter76530. I am sorry to jump on the thread. I just wanted to let you know that choosing which university you would like/want to attend might feel really intimidating and stressful. It's natural to have lots and lots of questions about it! If there are any questions you'd like answered about Keele, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help you out!
Elise_adventures
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
is It possible to become a barrister in UK with its degree? Or only soliciting ?
If you want to practice in England then make sure it is a qualifying english law degree, some offered in Scotland are some aren't. If it isn't then you can still become both a barrister and solicitor but you will have to do extra qualifications upon graduating
username5484956
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I hear RGU is becoming pretty good for law and might be worth considering, it's not as prestigious as AoA but has improved.
Nikitka
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ali_shah2019)
thank you ! I know about those details, my main question was wether it is possible to become a barrister in England with a degree from Scottish uni (I’m planning to get the degree that qualifies for English law), considering the INSANE amount of competition for barristers? And i compared to solicitors bc as I know it’s easier to become a solicitor.
Nikitka
Rep:
?
(Original post by soma.mehmood)
Omggg I want to go to Aberdeen!!! It actually comes up in the top ten for Law universities in some league tables so I wouldn’t say you’d be disadvantaged if you went there
Do you wanna become a solicitor or a barrister afterwards and where do you want to practice (England or Scotland ?) Also nice to know :-)
soma.mehmood
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you wanna become a solicitor or a barrister afterwards and where do you want to practice (England or Scotland ?) Also nice to know :-)
Hopefullyyyy a Barrister and I haven’t really decided where yet. I’ve never actually been to Scotland so I don’t know whether I’d like living there etc but practicing in Scotland is definitely an option for me What about yourself?
Nikitka
Rep:
?
Hopefullyyyy a Barrister and I haven’t really decided where yet. I’ve never actually been to Scotland so I don’t know whether I’d like living there etc but practicing in Scotland is definitely an option for me What about yourself?
Barrister as well. To me it just seems so much more interesting than being a solicitor, solicitor is more like your typical American big law firm lawyer, while barrister is a world of its own. As an international student, I never was in Scotland as well, not sure about practicing there though ($$question)
Nikitka
Rep:
?
Btw sorry for replying so damn late. Didn’t visit the site in three days
soma.mehmood
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Barrister as well. To me it just seems so much more interesting than being a solicitor, solicitor is more like your typical American big law firm lawyer, while barrister is a world of its own. As an international student, I never was in Scotland as well, not sure about practicing there though ($$question)
Yeah I love the idea of actually presenting a case in court and winning. It seems so much more rewarding than being a solicitor and doing the background work. If you decide to study at Aberdeen you can decide during your degree whether you’d want to practice in Scotland
And it’s okay don’t apologise X
Hooi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You guys definitely need BPTC notes and past year mock questions to ace the Bar. I practise lots of questions, that's why im here today to help the peers.
Hooi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You guys definitely need BPTC notes and past year mock questions to ace the Bar. I practise lots of questions, that's why im here today to help the peers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (36)
17.06%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.38%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.32%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise