Did my delivery driver try scam me?

Watch
Anumu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So last Thursday I received my new phone by delivery. The guy delivering my parcel spoke in a very thick Nigerian accent and said: "there is a £50 extra fee since its imported" and I said I didn't know and had no money, then he said "do you have any money upstairs?" to which I replied no. He then stopped doing the accent which I didn't even realise was fake and said "I got you" and started laughing saying he was joking and gave me my parcel.

I've never spoken to or seen this delivery man before so why would he pull this "joke" on me. seems like a pretty odd thing to do, out of all the people he delivered to, why me?

Upon reading this it sounds like an innocent joke, but the vibe just felt super off to me. He was completely alone (nobody with him to enjoy this "joke with"). perhaps I'm actually overthinking this, the vibe just felt very wrong to me, and it seems like an odd thing to do as a joke to someone you've never met.
Last edited by Anumu; 1 month ago
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would contact the delivery company, and whoever you ordered from, and report this. It's something that could easily backfire with vulnerable people, and even if it's just a joke and not a scam, it could leave them anxious if they don't hand over any money. You could even contact the police, my experience is that they are interested in neighbourhood issues like this.

My parents ripped into Sky TV when one of their agents doorstopped an elderly man that we would help with shopping etc; he was always a bit vague and a bit scruffy-looking, but they got him to sign for an expensive package and he didn't know what he'd done. Grrrr! It was cancelled forthwith.
Last edited by Surnia; 1 month ago
Anumu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
I would contact the delivery company, and whoever you ordered from, and report this. It's something that could easily backfire with vulnerable people, and even if it's just a joke and not a scam, it could leave them anxious if they don't hand over any money. You could even contact the police, my experience is that they are interested in neighbourhood issues like this.

My parents ripped into Sky TV when one of their agents doorstopped an elderly man that we would help with shopping etc; he was always a bit vague and a bit scruffy-looking, but they got him to sign for an expensive package and he didn't know what he'd done. Grrrr! It was cancelled forthwith.
But what if this guy was genuinely just having a joke and he gets reprimanded at work?
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why do you consider the man's Nigerian accent relevant to what happened?
Last edited by glassalice; 1 month ago
Anumu
Rep:
?
(Original post by glassalice)
Why do you consider the man's Nigerian accent relevant to what happened?
Because he was putting it on when he asked for the £50, then once I said I had no money he laughed and spoke in his real, fully English accent. It was the fact he put an accent on for some reason, whatever accent it is isn't of relevance.
Anumu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Wow only on tsr are jokes from blacks still threats.

Ok not only on tsr, but it's certainly not the first time I've seen people so sheltered on here that they can't take a joke. Ugh. Even you knew you were being silly. You probably live in a posh neighbourhood and he was being cheeky thinking you're a Karen and will come out and tell him to leave whilst I'm doing his job. Turns out he wasn't completely wrong..
Only on TSR would someone make a completely unfounded accusation of calling someone racist without any knowledge on me or the situation. Being that both my parents are immigrants I think it's fair to say I'm not living in a posh neighbourhood or a "Karen".

Kind of ironic to randomly call someone racist with for no reason and with no evidence whilst also calling them a Karen. It appears you may be the actual Karen, Karen.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First of all no idea why you're mentioning you're an immigrant. You can be an immigrant and be racist! Second, it was "founded" because you mentioned his race for no reason...it's really simple.
Anumu
Rep:
?
Although OP is a racist troll,
I don't see how it is indicative of autism....
I see you have over 2,000 posts so it's your genuine account. Can I ask how I'm racist? I responded to why the accent was relevant to which you had no response. Calling people racist is a pretty serious accusation, I hope you don't conduct yourself like that in the real world. I'm not sure why you're angry in all honesty.
Anumu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Serious question: do you have autism? You're so lucky that I have **** to do and can't be here all day playing games with you.

First of all no idea why you're mentioning you're an immigrant. You can be an immigrant and be racist! Second, it was "founded" because you mentioned his race for no reason...it's really simple.
It appears you perhaps cant read. At no point in the post have I ever mentioned the delivery man's race. I mentioned the accent which he faked, which had no relevance other than the fact he decided to fake an accent, could have been Irish for all I care, why would he fake an accent?

Being so angry and throwing accusations out is very worrying.
Anumu
Rep:
?
Although OP is a racist troll,
I don't see how it is indicative of autism....
upon checking your profile it seems from the comments on your profile, the whole of TSR already knows you're a troll who needs attention. I won't be responding to specifically you any longer.
Zamestaneh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anumu)
It appears you perhaps cant read. At no point in the post have I ever mentioned the delivery man's race. I mentioned the accent which he faked, which had no relevance other than the fact he decided to fake an accent, could have been Irish for all I care, why would he fake an accent?

Being so angry and throwing accusations out is very worrying.
You're not racist, calm down - don't feed the trolls
Anumu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zamestaneh)
You're not racist, calm down - don't feed the trolls
I didn't realise they were troll accounts, only after looking at the comments on their profile.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anumu)
upon checking your profile it seems from the comments on your profile, the whole of TSR already knows you're a troll who needs attention.
What? Are you OK?
For the record, you didn't previously mention that the delivery driver was putting on a fake accent, you only mentioned the accent but then later edited it.
Last edited by glassalice; 1 month ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, report this to the delivery company. Unacceptable behaviour.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For the record, you didn't previously mention that the delivery driver was putting on a fake accent, you only mentioned the accent but then later edited it.
He mentions it in the OP, which was apparently last edited 8 hours ago.
Anumu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theloniouss)
He mentions it in the OP, which was apparently last edited 8 hours ago.
Yeah, and I posted it 8 hours ago too, I edited it instantly to correct a grammar error.
Moonbow
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anumu)
Yeah, and I posted it 8 hours ago too, I edited it instantly to correct a grammar error.
Don’t worry, at least you noticed that you had one. Can’t say the same for myself when I post :laugh:
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
TBH i'm as customer facing job and you learn over time you need to be careful with any jokes, even clean ones as some people will simply not read you well and will stare at you like a gutted fish, sometimes people just don't like banter.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anumu)
But what if this guy was genuinely just having a joke and he gets reprimanded at work?
It’s a bit irrelevant if it was a joke if it makes people uncomfortable or suspicious of deliveries from this company. Imagine if they pulled this prank on someone vulnerable, it could be very upsetting.

Report it.
Anumu
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
TBH i'm as customer facing job and you learn over time you need to be careful with any jokes, even clean ones as some people will simply not read you well and will stare at you like a gutted fish, sometimes people just don't like banter.
Honestly, I have no problem at all with a joke, it was just how it happened felt odd to me. He practically said it as soon as I opened the door and he obviously planned to do it, and asking if I had any money upstairs was just a bit weird. If it didn't feel so forced it would have been pretty funny.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (214)
56.76%
I don't have everything I need (163)
43.24%

Watched Threads