Fantastik-em
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How do I know what I want to be? I am doing my GCSEs so next year I have to go to college and do courses but I don’t know which courses should I choose because I am unsure what I want to be ?
stemppp
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey so I don't know your subjects and if you have any specific interests yet, but I can give you my personal experience which hopefully might help. Basically I also had no idea what I wanted to study in the future and was between law, business, or the science kinda area. Here's how I narrowed it down: My parents are in business and they are miserable there so I didn't wanna end up like that. I went on a summer law course and for me I didn't like it, also not very extroverted so that was law out. Also in school I noticed I absolutely hated taking History in Grade 10, I had to write my last essay and was totally unmotivated to do it, so I knew I wouldn't do anything there. The only thing left really was in the sciences and my chemistry classes were super cool like I was genuinely interested in chemical reactions and biology was also super cool sometimes (except plant stuff) - and now I'm going for medicine or pharmacy at uni.

For me it was a process of elimination. Now, if you don't enjoy ANYTHING in school, that might be different. Basically follow your passion and interests, stuff which you get excited about. And if you wanna chase money then go for it just be ready for lots of stress and a boring job (unless you're genuinely interested).

If you're not sure I would still make sure to try and get the best grades possible in every subject anyways to keep your options open.

I hope this helped somewhat, I'm not an expert or anything but if you want you can tell me more about what you're interested in and I can try to help you narrow it down - good luck
Fantastik-em
Rep:
?
(Original post by stemppp)
Hey so I don't know your subjects and if you have any specific interests yet, but I can give you my personal experience which hopefully might help. Basically I also had no idea what I wanted to study in the future and was between law, business, or the science kinda area. Here's how I narrowed it down: My parents are in business and they are miserable there so I didn't wanna end up like that. I went on a summer law course and for me I didn't like it, also not very extroverted so that was law out. Also in school I noticed I absolutely hated taking History in Grade 10, I had to write my last essay and was totally unmotivated to do it, so I knew I wouldn't do anything there. The only thing left really was in the sciences and my chemistry classes were super cool like I was genuinely interested in chemical reactions and biology was also super cool sometimes (except plant stuff) - and now I'm going for medicine or pharmacy at uni.

For me it was a process of elimination. Now, if you don't enjoy ANYTHING in school, that might be different. Basically follow your passion and interests, stuff which you get excited about. And if you wanna chase money then go for it just be ready for lots of stress and a boring job (unless you're genuinely interested).

If you're not sure I would still make sure to try and get the best grades possible in every subject anyways to keep your options open.

I hope this helped somewhat, I'm not an expert or anything but if you want you can tell me more about what you're interested in and I can try to help you narrow it down - good luck
Hello , I am doing combined science (foundation), maths (foundation), English language, English Literature, Geography, IT, RE and French GCSEs.
I don’t what I want to be but the subject I am good at I guess are science and maths and maybe english and IT. I am reallly passionate about travelling and exploring. And thank you for sharing your story and your experience with me. 😊
LukeChester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fantastik-em)
How do I know what I want to be? I am doing my GCSEs so next year I have to go to college and do courses but I don’t know which courses should I choose because I am unsure what I want to be ?
Sometimes it's really difficult to understand what you want to do in this life. But the main thing you shouldn't do - allow other people to decide it for you. You know your goals so you can choose some industries to enter. Read feedbacks about jobs you're interested in - thus, you'll see pros and cons of them. Also, I recommend checking out this article - I hope it can help: https://ivypanda.com/blog/how-to-choose-a-major/
stemppp
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fantastik-em)
Hello , I am doing combined science (foundation), maths (foundation), English language, English Literature, Geography, IT, RE and French GCSEs.
I don’t what I want to be but the subject I am good at I guess are science and maths and maybe english and IT. I am reallly passionate about travelling and exploring. And thank you for sharing your story and your experience with me. 😊
No problem! I'd agree with the comment above that it's really important you do what YOU wanna do. I'd recommend researching a bit, maybe try some online courses on sites like coursera to get a feel for what studying a subject at uni would feel like. I remember my old school offered this career advice test called morrisby (but you have to pay for it so beware). It was pretty good, you gotta do a bunch of tests such as logical tests and personality tests but in the end it gives you a super in-depth psychoanalysis and you even get to talk to a career coach for 30 minutes via. skype - I'm sure there are other sites out there that do the same tho.

You could go into social work and travel the world that way or become a famous vlogger where you get paid to travel the world lol. Best of luck
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
try a career quiz
Fantastik-em
Rep:
?
Thank you all
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.33%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (41)
27.33%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (62)
41.33%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.33%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed