Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do people use laptops to make notes during lectures? Is it common? :confused:
    And is it common for most people to use laptops from ur rooms or is it more common to go to the library?
    Is there wireless internet at Uni?

ReputationRep:
    Not very common at all in my experience to use during lectures, the tapping is exceedingly annoying to everyone else.

Most universities have wireless internet on campus and the other question is personal choice really, I prefer the library because I actually work rather than go on tsr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamstein)
    Do people use laptops to make notes during lectures? Is it common? :confused:
    And is it common for most people to use laptops from ur rooms or is it more common to go to the library?
    Is there wireless internet at Uni?
    I'm doing Computing Science and even then it isn't THAT common to get someone using a laptop. A few people do occasionally, but expect to find the people behind you looking over your shoulder to see what you're doing!

ReputationRep:
    You do get a few but it tends to be irritating.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a note pad and a pen, sorted.

ReputationRep:
    This topic has been discussed like a hundred times. I doubt anyone has changed their opinion. The Website has a search feature you know.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason you'd want a laptop in a lecture is so you can surf the 'net instead of listening, in which case you should have stayed at home anyway.

Taking notes on laptops is too hard, pen and paper ftw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWon'tWait)
    The only reason you'd want a laptop in a lecture is so you can surf the 'net instead of listening, in which case you should have stayed at home anyway.

Taking notes on laptops is too hard, pen and paper ftw!
    I can type faster than I can write :cool:

Loads had laptops in my lectures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    I can type faster than I can write :cool:

Loads had laptops in my lectures.
    Can you add in arrows and notes on top of what you've already written and in margins while typing though?

Or draw diagrams?

People with laptops in lecture halls bug me. Tap tap tap *shoots them in the back of the head*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWon'tWait)
    Can you add in arrows and notes on top of what you've already written and in margins while typing though?

Or draw diagrams?

People with laptops in lecture halls bug me. Tap tap tap *shoots them in the back of the head*.
    I don't need to add arrows or put things in margins. If I wanted a note within my notes, I'd just make it a different colour or highlight it. We didn't have diagrams either, but using a laptop doesn't stop you from having a piece of paper also.

In my lectures, it wasn't 100 people constantly typing for 2 hours. Our lecture was available on the Internet so people download the notes and follow them from their laptops, occasionally typing a reminder or similar. Noise level was the same whether there were none or a room full.

ReputationRep:
    not common, and the typing can be annpying, just as easy to write it down on paper

ReputationRep:
    There's always one, everyone else hates them :p: usually a macbook as well

(Original post by RoosterUK)
    usually a macbook as well
    Truly sacrilegious. :mad2:

ReputationRep:
    For most arts based courses it simply isnt necessary to write anything at all, just simply listen and focus. Chances are there will be a book or source available with the same topics out there anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Almost everyone in my class uses one during lectures, then again, it *is* final year CS, and laptops are compulsory for my course.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.