Driving without insurance

Watch
Harry__12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys

Last Saturday I got caught driving my sister’s car going to pick her up from hospital without insurance. Police said I will get 6 points and they will cancel my license. They checked my license but didn’t give me any paper about information. And when I asked them again can I drive or not? They said you will receive letter and you will find out everything in that letter.
Now I am confused will they cancel my license.
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
they mmight...it may be a court order.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Probably, the police don't ban you at the roadside though, they need to report to DVLA and it's them that apply points and then ban the licence. Dunno if you would get a court summons.
Last edited by StriderHort; 1 month ago
SosbanFach
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Harry__12345)
Hey guys

Last Saturday I got caught driving my sister’s car going to pick her up from hospital without insurance. Police said I will get 6 points and they will cancel my license. They checked my license but didn’t give me any paper about information. And when I asked them again can I drive or not? They said you will receive letter and you will find out everything in that letter.
If you're a new driver, i.e. if you passed your test within the last two years, your licence is revoked automatically if you get six points. Driving without insurance is a strict liability offence - you're guilty even if you didn't know, basically - so you will get the fixed penalty, and with that your licence will be cancelled. Until you hear from them, though, you can keep driving. Once your licence is cancelled, you can then apply for a new provisional straight away, and once you've resat the theory and practical there's no disqualification period. You'll keep the points for four years, though.

If you've had your licence for more than two years and you're losing it because of "totting up" - reaching 12 points - then the process is different. That's at least a six month disqualification, has to be imposed by a court, isn't automatic, you lose the points afterwards, and you don't (usually) have to retake your test.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Harry__12345)
Hey guys

You'll receive a summons in the post. You've been given a verbal NIP.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads