Small brown maggot-like creatures in carpet

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I tend to sweep and hoover my uni room every week and yesterday I found about 4/5 really small brown maggots squirming around in the dust pan after sweeping the carpet

I called maintenance and when the guy came, he said he couldn't recognise what it was from my description so he couldn't do anything about it but he's called the cleaning team. He said to take a picture of them next time but I'm so scared to sweep my room now, I don't want to see them :/

I'm not sure what to do and I'm very paranoid now. Maggots are one of my worst fears :/ And since I'm going away for Christmas I obviously don't want to leave my room for a month in that state in case it gets worse

Does anyone know what this is? Or know what I should do? Thanks in advance!
dking2001
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I tend to sweep and hoover my uni room every week and yesterday I found about 4/5 really small brown maggots squirming around in the dust pan after sweeping the carpet

I called maintenance and when the guy came, he said he couldn't recognise what it was from my description so he couldn't do anything about it but he's called the cleaning team. He said to take a picture of them next time but I'm so scared to sweep my room now, I don't want to see them :/

I'm not sure what to do and I'm very paranoid now. Maggots are one of my worst fears :/ And since I'm going away for Christmas I obviously don't want to leave my room for a month in that state in case it gets worse

I would guess they were moth larvae. Google carpet moth larvae and check the images
Anonymous #1
(Original post by dking2001)
I would guess they were moth larvae. Google carpet moth larvae and check the images
Ah thank you so much! The brown ones do look similar. Do you have any advice on getting rid of them?
dking2001
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah thank you so much! The brown ones do look similar. Do you have any advice on getting rid of them?
Lots of treatments available on Amazon. I could not recommend one over another though
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They aren't dangerous, unless you are made of wool! Maintenance will want to get rid of them, because as you've found, they eat carpets.

Put some moth balls in your wardrobe to stop them going for your clothes. All googlable. They are about as common as ladybirds, just more destructive of carpets and jumpers, no drama though.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Could they be carpet beetles? Or carpet beetle larvae? If you google it and it looks like that, don't worry they are quite common. I've had a larvae occasionally on the carpet or on a wall. I just chuck them outside (occasionally squishing them whilst trying to get them RIP) they can eat through things like clothes so bet that they are removed.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
Could they be carpet beetles? Or carpet beetle larvae? If you google it and it looks like that, don't worry they are quite common. I've had a larvae occasionally on the carpet or on a wall. I just chuck them outside (occasionally squishing them whilst trying to get them RIP) they can eat through things like clothes so bet that they are removed.
I think id bleach my carpet if I found this. The idea of having live larvae in my carpet is not the one.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
I think id bleach my carpet if I found this. The idea of having live larvae in my carpet is not the one.
Most of my house has laminate floors, only the stairs and landing is carpeted. I randomly found one on the wall near the back door, no where near a carpet a while ago :confused: but at my mum's house we occasionally had them when growing up, never found more than one and never close together time wise. Just like with spiders, they crop up every now and then - but I wouldn't bleach my house just because I saw one or two :lol:
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
I don't think I'm brave enough to do that Also I'm looking at my full laundry bag right now which is just sat chilling on the carpet... oh no :/
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think I'm brave enough to do that Also I'm looking at my full laundry bag right now which is just sat chilling on the carpet... oh no :/
I'll post a photo from Google in a spoiler, only look if you want - but might be less ew than Googling it if you're not keen :lol:

Spoiler:
Show

Good luck with looking through it, hopefully you don't find anymore :crossedf: keep us updated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (18)
13.74%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (31)
23.66%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (58)
44.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
15.27%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.05%

Watched Threads