Pichi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi. I'm practising some 16 mark evaluations for my social influence mock that's coming up and I was wondering if it is necessary to include the variations for Asch and Milgram's studies as part of AO1. Also, if I did have to include the variations, would I have to include evaluations for both the original studies and their variations? Thank you.
username5442900
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Depends on the question. if the question asks you ‘Describe and evaluate Asch’s research into conformity’ then you can use Asch’s research as part of AO1 and AO3 and you can include the variations, and strengths and weaknesses for the study and their variations.

However, if the question asks you ‘Describe and evaluate informational social influence and normative social influence as explanations for conformity’, you don’t need to talk about Asch’s research as part of AO1, but you can use Asch’s research as part of AO3 because it’s a research to support normative social influence (therefore a strength). But you’re not supposed to talk about Milgram because Milgram did research in obedience, not conformity.

So if the question is asking about obedience, you can use Milgram’s study.

Hope this helped
Pichi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by DSKE010)
Depends on the question. if the question asks you ‘Describe and evaluate Asch’s research into conformity’ then you can use Asch’s research as part of AO1 and AO3 and you can include the variations, and strengths and weaknesses for the study and their variations.

However, if the question asks you ‘Describe and evaluate informational social influence and normative social influence as explanations for conformity’, you don’t need to talk about Asch’s research as part of AO1, but you can use Asch’s research as part of AO3 because it’s a research to support normative social influence (therefore a strength). But you’re not supposed to talk about Milgram because Milgram did research in obedience, not conformity.

So if the question is asking about obedience, you can use Milgram’s study.

Hope this helped
Thank you!
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
DSKE010 is definitely right that it depends on the question. I would like to add though that there’s often so many evaluation points that you don’t really need any particular one. Be selective and know how much you need to write for full marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (31)
13.78%
Virtual campus tours/open days (50)
22.22%
Live streaming events (21)
9.33%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (22)
9.78%
A uni comparison tool (51)
22.67%
An in-person event when available (50)
22.22%