ariana7659
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m 16 looking to find my first job in retail I’ve already written a CV but I don’t have any references. What should I do? For a job in retail possibly JD do you need references?
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ariana7659)
I’m 16 looking to find my first job in retail I’ve already written a CV but I don’t have any references. What should I do? For a job in retail possibly JD do you need references?
For your first job, a character reference from a teacher/coach (or someone along those lines) is usually fine or a few of those if they require more then one. I don't put references on my CV, I just have a line at the bottom that says references available on request. Not sure about working for JD sports and what they require.
Last edited by AfricanDream; 1 month ago
ariana7659
Rep:
?
(Original post by AfricanDream)
For your first job, a character reference from a teacher/coach (or someone along those lines) is usually fine or a few of those if they require more then one. I don't put references on my CV, I just have a line at the bottom that says references available on request. Not sure about working for JD sports and what they require.
Thank you.
Would you say a reference is needed even if i put references are available upon request
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you.
Would you say a reference is needed even if i put references are available upon request
You're welcome. Definitely make sure you have asked a couple of people if they are willing to be a referee for you- usually you just give the contact details of your referee(s), job title and how you know them if and when the company asks for them, they will contact your referee directly. I currently work as a Christmas temp in retail at Debenhams and as far as I remember I didn't even have to give contact details of referees till I had been offered the position, even then I don't think they ended up contacting my referees. If you have put references are available on request at the bottom of your CV, then you don't actually put a reference in the CV if that makes sense?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don't mention reference in your CV, so if it's a CV and covering letter type application, you don't have to worry about references until/unless you are offered the job. References are usually only taken for the one applicant who is offered the job.

In the mean time, you can ask teachers, spots coaches, club leaders, faith leaders etc for references. Just say to them, that you are applying for some retail jobs over Christmas, and please can you use them as a referee. If they say yes, then ask for the email and phone number they would like you to use. Then just hold on to those details and only hand them over when an employer asks.

If an application form asks for referee details up front, then you usually offer them up front.
ariana7659
Rep:
?
(Original post by AfricanDream)
You're welcome. Definitely make sure you have asked a couple of people if they are willing to be a referee for you- usually you just give the contact details of your referee(s), job title and how you know them if and when the company asks for them, they will contact your referee directly. I currently work as a Christmas temp in retail at Debenhams and as far as I remember I didn't even have to give contact details of referees till I had been offered the position, even then I don't think they ended up contacting my referees. If you have put references are available on request at the bottom of your CV, then you don't actually put a reference in the CV if that makes sense?
It makes sense thank you
ariana7659
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
You don't mention reference in your CV, so if it's a CV and covering letter type application, you don't have to worry about references until/unless you are offered the job. References are usually only taken for the one applicant who is offered the job.

In the mean time, you can ask teachers, spots coaches, club leaders, faith leaders etc for references. Just say to them, that you are applying for some retail jobs over Christmas, and please can you use them as a referee. If they say yes, then ask for the email and phone number they would like you to use. Then just hold on to those details and only hand them over when an employer asks.

If an application form asks for referee details up front, then you usually offer them up front.
Thank you
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Its common to ask teachers/tutors for references. So you could ask your form tutor, head of year etc.
If you are a member of any clubs, teams, societies etc, then you can use someone from there as a reference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (37)
17.45%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.68%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.36%

Watched Threads