P3 Circles Watch

This discussion is closed.
shift3
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
P3 Heinemann Review Exercise 1 Q31
Find the coordinates of the center and the radius of the circle with equation x² + y² -10y = 0.
Prove that the line with equation 4x - 3y + 40 = 0 is a tangent to the circle.

For the first part I got center (0, 5) and radius 5, which is correct. I can't seem to do the second part.

I tried to prove that the line intersects the circle at only 1 point by substituting y=(4x+40)/3 into the equation of the circle, but that didn't work. I then tried substituting x=(3y-40)/4, in case I'd made an arithmetic slip in the first subsitution, but that didn't work either.

Help?
mathz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shift3)
Find the coordinates of the center and the radius of the circle with equation x² + y² -10y = 0.
?
x=(3y-40)/4
x^2=9y^2-240y+1600/16
so 9y^2-240y+1600+16y^2-160y=0
25y^2-400y+1600=0
y^2-16y+64=0
(y-8)^2=0
so y=8
x=-4
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

For the first part I got center (0, 5) and radius 5, which is correct. I can't seem to do the second part.

I tried to prove that the line intersects the circle at only 1 point by substituting y=(4x+40)/3 into the equation of the circle, but that didn't work. I then tried substituting x=(3y-40)/4, in case I'd made an arithmetic slip in the first subsitution, but that didn't work either.

Help?
make them equal to each other...
shift3
omg.. I wrote down x²-y²-10y=0 as the equation of the circle on the pad I was working on. No wonder I couldn't prove it!

Thanks mathz!
Aitch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
omg.. I wrote down x²-y²-10y=0 as the equation of the circle on the pad I was working on. No wonder I couldn't prove it!

Thanks mathz!

Get the intersection point (see mathz above)
the gradient of the line is 4/3
you can prove that the gradient of the radius between (0,5) and (-4,8) is
-3/4, so the radius and the line are at rt angles to each other, so the line is a tangent

Aitch
shift3
(Original post by Aitch)
Get the intersection point (see mathz above)
the gradient of the line is 4/3
you can prove that the gradient of the radius between (0,5) and (-4,8) is
-3/4, so the radius and the line are at rt angles to each other, so the line is a tangent

Aitch
That's not really required. If I manage to show that there's only one point of intersection between the line and the circle, then it's a tangent.
Font
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yp teh 2nd post is cul - but got to add, that thi sis only true is there is only one real and equal root, can't have imaginary or two roots to the final equation - if there is only 1 real and equal root, then its self evident that its gonna be a tanget, cos this is one of its definitions!!!
Aitch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That's not really required. If I manage to show that there's only one point of intersection between the line and the circle, then it's a tangent.
You are, of course, correct!

I've forgotten more of my P3 than I thought! What I did was establish the gradient of a tangent of which we already had the equation...

...Good procedure,wrong question!

Aitch
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (53)
98.15%
No (1)
1.85%

Watched Threads