gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
haven't made one of these in a while, so thought i'd answer any questions that new joiners have or people interested in my development
tw15st3d
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
all in comp at tech relative to if you had stayed in IB? e.g. is it more/same/less than if you'd stayed in banking. Presume equity may be a factor now?

What are the hours looking like for you these days?

What does a typical day look like for you?

Thanks - i remember seeing your thread about quitting a couple of years ago, so nice to see you're still ticking
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
(Original post by tw15st3d)
all in comp at tech relative to if you had stayed in IB? e.g. is it more/same/less than if you'd stayed in banking. Presume equity may be a factor now?

What are the hours looking like for you these days?

What does a typical day look like for you?

Thanks - i remember seeing your thread about quitting a couple of years ago, so nice to see you're still ticking
at the same tenure in IB - all in comp would've been double what im paid (as a reference)

nowadays i work 6-7 hours on a bad day XD

my current role i just sit on xls and do financial models and run reports on them all day
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What firms where you at?
Why did you leave?
Best and worst bit about IB?
What industry does this tech startup operate in?
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
What firms where you at?
Why did you leave?
Best and worst bit about IB?
What industry does this tech startup operate in?
for anon sake won't mention - bb ib > tech startup operating in recrutiment > tech startup operation in sales enablement / advisory

best: experience / connections
worst: work/life balance

left because i wanted a life and more interesting work
Last edited by gr8wizard10; 1 month ago
F4N
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did you find your roles in tech? I'm currently in banking and I only get contacted about roles in PE and the occasional HF...

What is your job title/role?

What industry team were you in in IB and did it make a difference?
Last edited by F4N; 1 month ago
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
(Original post by F4N)
How did you find your roles in tech? I'm currently in banking and I only get contacted about roles in PE and the occasional HF...

What is your job title/role?

What industry team were you in in IB and did it make a difference?
actively searching through linkedin and reaching out to my networks.. tbf, the startup i was at first was ran by a bunch of ex-PE guys

title was corporate development associate - but worked across the board on strategic initiatives int'l expansion / fundraising / data & analytics / new business lines - worked directly with CEO/CFO

I was in the consumer retail group - i don't think it made much difference, i was given a modeling test at interviews to LBO an industrials related company, so long as you're competent - new industries you can easily learn
ghost_1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
haven't made one of these in a while, so thought i'd answer any questions that new joiners have or people interested in my development
Did you consider moving to PE as opposed to Corp. Dev.?
If you did why didnt you move to PE?

Thanks
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghost_1)
Did you consider moving to PE as opposed to Corp. Dev.?
If you did why didnt you move to PE?

Thanks
funnily enough had a mid-cap PE offer quite recently - 2 things, PE is banking v2 - long hours and you join as an associate at the bottom of the totempole so being mainly a process junkie..

pretty much harbours the same issues as banking for me.. really comes down to where on the spectrum of work life balance / interesting work vs. money you want to be at.
F4N
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
funnily enough had a mid-cap PE offer quite recently - 2 things, PE is banking v2 - long hours and you join as an associate at the bottom of the totempole so being mainly a process junkie..

pretty much harbours the same issues as banking for me.. really comes down to where on the spectrum of work life balance / interesting work vs. money you want to be at.
Do you know of any other non-PE/HF/corp dev exit opps? Did you consider product management at a tech firm?
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
(Original post by F4N)
Do you know of any other non-PE/HF/corp dev exit opps? Did you consider product management at a tech firm?
one of my analyst class went into product management.

i'm sure anything that requires business related knowledge is pretty open to jr bankers - a lot of varied roles out there
rebellionium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you think it's better to do a master and then start as an associate? Bypass the analysts stage of long and boring hours.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rebellionium)
Do you think it's better to do a master and then start as an associate? Bypass the analysts stage of long and boring hours.
masters still start as analysts (its MBAs that go in associates, getting into LBS/said/judge for an exec MBA requires 5-10 years of experience).

The other thing is if you start as an associate their is greater expectation on you out the blocks and from what ive read MBA classes are getting smaller as they prefer to train up their own analysts nowadays.
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by rebellionium)
as above user posted, MBA's start as associates.. and i would personally recommend getting in as an analyst on the ground floor to really pick up the skills
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (248)
57.41%
I don't have everything I need (184)
42.59%

Watched Threads