How hard is it to change from biochemistry to law at uni

Watch
mma_jd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I applied to biochem but I wanna do law now, my a levels are completely irrelevant to law btw
Mazza-G
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello,

I suggest contacting university admissions office personally and explaining your situation to them. Keep clearing in mind as well and advertise yourself as fully as you can. Say why it is you want to do law, what skills you have got to offer, do some research into it to show that you didn't just wake up one day deciding to switch. Make them understand how much you want in and ask for help in achieving that. I wanted to be a doctor but biology wasn't my strongest point in the end, sadly. So I got into law and used my CV to show what relevant experience I have.
mma_jd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Mazza-G)
Hello,

I suggest contacting university admissions office personally and explaining your situation to them. Keep clearing in mind as well and advertise yourself as fully as you can. Say why it is you want to do law, what skills you have got to offer, do some research into it to show that you didn't just wake up one day deciding to switch. Make them understand how much you want in and ask for help in achieving that. I wanted to be a doctor but biology wasn't my strongest point in the end, sadly. So I got into law and used my CV to show what relevant experience I have.
The issue is I'm doing all science a levels, and all the entry requirements for law typically state to have something related to social science or humanities
Mazza-G
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mma_jd)
The issue is I'm doing all science a levels, and all the entry requirements for law typically state to have something related to social science or humanities
So from what I understand, you are still in college now, in year 2. I would suggest, and this is my personal take on this - I didn't have the same difficulty as you as I did English Language and psychology as well as biology, so I had teachers to help - try and speak to someone from the law department or English department. Two reasons for that - in the law department you might be able to get some advice on your best course of action, or if there are any kind of competitions you could try yourself in to put in your CV. Maybe there's a debating club - that would be great as you would practice your public speaking and appearing on both sides of the argument. The reason behind English dept is to find out if there are any essay competitions. I did a Poetry By Heart competition where you had to pick a poem from the list and recite it, and if you are picked, you go on and take part in the national competition. It may not sound like much, but it will give you that something extra to demonstrate as opposed to having a purely scientific background. You could even look for essay competitions yourself, maybe there's one you can take part in on your own and not through college. This way you'd have another selling point to get into law as you've shown that you did try yourself at something humanities-related. Alternatively, start listening to legal podcasts - that you can definitely talk about and say that you are "in the know" now, aware of legal topics etc. LegalCheek, LawCareers.Net and Chambers Student are good websites and the Pupillage Podcast is a great one for those who wish to pursue a career of a barrister. Be creative and find your selling points. Even if you ignore this advice and stick with your science background, try to draw connections with law. Say that you're a problem-solver as I know there are plenty in science subjects. You're open-minded, eager to self-develop and discover something new. You know?
studentbioch3m
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I applied to biochem but I wanna do law now, my a levels are completely irrelevant to law btw
What type of law are you wanting to do? Some types of law link to the sciences so you could look into that!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
NO they do not. Law has no real preference for A level subject at first instance (thats the short version) if you are doing stem subjects that is fine. the issue is whether you have the grades. On the subject front you have NO issue.

The issue besides grades is that you have already applied, which means you need to persuade admissions you can be considered for a different course. That means a new PS. You only get one UCAS full application a year so you need to persuade to consider you for the other course or go down the UCAS Extra route. Check that with UCAS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (74)
17.75%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
29.02%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (157)
37.65%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.47%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise