agape_99
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
need help on this vertical motion's question!!

"A ball is projected vertically upwards from a point that is 6m above the ground. The ball reaches a maximum height of 13m above the ground during its flight, before coming to rest on the ground. Find the total time of flight of the ball"
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by agape_99)
"A ball is projected vertically upwards from a point that is 6m above the ground. The ball reaches a maximum height of 13m above the ground during its flight, before coming to rest on the ground. Find the total time of flight of the ball"
Use the maximum height that is reached (above the start point) to calculate the ball's initial, upward speed (v^2=u^2+2as). Then calculate the time of flight by solving s=ut+at^2/2. Note that you should get one negative and one positive solution. Also be aware that SUVAT implicitly assumes that s=0 at t=0. Be careful to apply your convention for the positive direction consistently.

Please post your working if you have any issues.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 month ago
agape_99
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Yep got it now. That's really helpful, thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (74)
17.7%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
28.95%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (158)
37.8%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.11%

Watched Threads