Is it normal too be more tired with first year of uni (help)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a first year student studying a science based course and right now i feel just really tired and overwhelmed with everything I have to do. This whole lockdown thing not only gives our techers the excuse of giving us extra work to memorise online but i cant even go do things to relax a de-stress myself like studying at the library or going to the gym.

My problem is that my family keeps scaring me into saying if i'm feeling run down now then im not gonna make it i nthe next few years of my course. Which sucks because i'm trying my best to keep up with lectures and I've recently submitted coursework on time (which took me alot longer to put together)

does anyone else have any advice on what I could be doing to help motivate me to get back on track or am i just doomed, thanks
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
anyone ?
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you find other ways to de-stress? Perhaps you could work out at home or go for a run instead? In terms of your uni work you should set a routine, make a list of all the topics you need to cover and stick to this list. I would ignore what your parents are saying.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm a first year student studying a science based course and right now i feel just really tired and overwhelmed with everything I have to do. This whole lockdown thing not only gives our techers the excuse of giving us extra work to memorise online but i cant even go do things to relax a de-stress myself like studying at the library or going to the gym.

My problem is that my family keeps scaring me into saying if i'm feeling run down now then im not gonna make it i nthe next few years of my course. Which sucks because i'm trying my best to keep up with lectures and I've recently submitted coursework on time (which took me alot longer to put together)

does anyone else have any advice on what I could be doing to help motivate me to get back on track or am i just doomed, thanks
Hi,

First year is a big adjustment on its own, and with covid it's understandable that you're feeling run down! As you get used to university life things should get easier

While covid is ongoing, try and substitute the things you would normally do to destress in a 'covid-safe' way. For example, instead of going to the gym, go for a run or do an outdoor circuit in a nearby park. I think gyms are opening again in certain tiers (you'll need to check if it applies to you), so you might be able to enjoy going to the gym again soon! If you can't study in the library, maybe see if any of your course mates want to set up an online Zoom study group, or if any of your flatmates want to study with you in a communal space in your home. Maybe use this time to find a new hobby such as photography or knitting (random examples)!

To manage stress, try to plan your day as much as you can so you can stay on top of work. Down time is just as important as uni work so don't forget to factor that in too! Don't be afraid to reach out to tutors if you feel you need to, they might be able to get you any extensions for work you need or help with learning materials. It might be worth reaching out to any support services to see if they can help you with this too. Just because you're struggling a bit now it doesn't mean you'll be struggling for the duration of university.

Hope this helps

Lucy
gutenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

We are all working in extreme conditions due to the pandemic - yes, even if you have a comfortable space to work, resources etc. There is just so much external 'noise' we have to contend with. It's perfectly normal that you are feeling tired: I'm a lecturer and my students are exhausted, I'm exhausted. Some of that is 'normal' and would have occurred anyway as we come to the end of a busy, stimulating term, but it's so much worse this year because of the disruption, the uncertainty, the heightened emotions.

You are not doomed. I would repeat the good suggestions of others, such as making sure you get outside and/or exercise regularly. Make a list of what you need to do, and create a plan each day for what needs to get done. Then, when the semester is over, make sure you take some time off, even if it's just a few days: your brain needs to recharge.
Mabey
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Even in normal circumstances most people are exhausted by uni, especially around the end of term. Don't worry about it!
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My daughter does physics first year, and its hard work.
On line labs are pretty strange, and with lectures, seminars workshops and problem sheets and coursework, it all adds up. One of the things shes done is take one of the weekdays where its light and for the rest of the day, do nothing. have an afternoon nap, go out and about for a walk. Get some exercise. Her flat does football between them on the pitches outside. This is usually a friday for her.
She will work on her problem sheets/coursework Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings and on those days do the occasional wash.
that leaves Wednesday as her movie night and food shopping, and Saturday free all day to do what she likes(before lockdown they all went for a meal on this night but now have a party indoors between them).

So although your schedule will be different, segregate at least a day and a half a week just for you and work out a time table for the rest.
Charizard96
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, completely normal. First year can often be the most overwhelming since it's a brand new experience, something you've never done before and therefore can't possibly know how to deal with just yet. And lockdown just adds another layer of stress and confusion to that, so don't underestimate the impact it can have.

As time goes on, you'll learn how to manage your time, how to productively study without killing yourself, and just overall adapt to a new lifestyle. You've got this, so just believe in yourself and take it at your own pace!
Yelena Icefaren
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I literally slept for an hour after getting home from lectures every day for like the first half of first year, adjusting to uni is intense and exhausting, and it will get easier! Ngl second year was also incredibly hard but it's doable, so try not to worry and just enjoy the experience as much as you can, especially once things start opening up and you can do more society stuff
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
its normal to be tired whenever
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
14.6%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (33)
24.09%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (60)
43.8%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
14.6%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.92%

Watched Threads