Tuition liability for withdrawal

Watch
Amy.johnson707
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im withdrawing from my course at the end of semester 1 (December). I have been told I'll be liable to pay £2300.
My main reason for leaving is due to my father having a terminal illness and lack of support from my tutors in general.
Where do I stand appealing this tuition payment?
Does a University ever wipe it and expect you not to pay? Any advice would be great.
I have paid the first semesters tuition fee through student finance.
Thanks
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amy.johnson707)
Im withdrawing from my course at the end of semester 1 (December). I have been told I'll be liable to pay £2300.
My main reason for leaving is due to my father having a terminal illness and lack of support from my tutors in general.
Does a University ever wipe it and expect you not to pay? Any advice would be great.
Thanks
I withdrew at the end of term 1 too, and the £2300 is about the amount I'd already paid through student finance - I didn't have to pay any of it back at the time. I'd assume they just mean that's the amount they expect you to have paid so far (i.e. clarifying that you don't need to pay them anything on top of that, and that it is the 25% amount). If they are charging you an extra 25%, that means they're expecting the term 2 payment as well, in which case they'd be hard pressed to justify asking you for that, so you should be okay.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
Thanks

Are you a fresher?
How many years have you been in HE including foundations and other degree courses?

I am not really seeing the merit in your appeal? Its not their fault that your father is in an unfortunate condition and you have attended the first term?
Furthermore, as it was via student finance, then the debt will just go to your long term student debt account, which most people never pay off anyway.

Think of it like this. You go to McDonalds and buy a meal. The meal is low quality after you have eaten some of it. You have still had the meal.
If you want to try and claim for the poor meal then it would be by either 1. The complaints system , - ending at the OIA or 2. Tasking them to court.
The former can be long, but unis tend not to want to pay any money. You would need to persevere. The latter would be under the Consumer Rights Act, but students have avoided making such claims. Ask your SU.

I believe your chances of winning are low, unless there was a lot more evidence of poor behaviour from them. Lack of sympathy I dont think will meet any such target.

The other way is a claim through compelling personal reasons if your student finance entitlement becomes difficult and you do not have enough finance left to cover a course. That claim is to SFE. Be sure to get the official withdrawal form and have it signed plus ideally a counsellor or GP letter that you are leaving due to the stress of uni and to look after your dad. Put those documents in a safe place.

You can also apply for up to 60 days discretionary payment from sfe.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Interea)
I withdrew at the end of term 1 too, and the £2300 is about the amount I'd already paid through student finance - I didn't have to pay any of it back at the time. I'd assume they just mean that's the amount they expect you to have paid so far (i.e. clarifying that you don't need to pay them anything on top of that, and that it is the 25% amount). If they are charging you an extra 25%, that means they're expecting the term 2 payment as well, in which case they'd be hard pressed to justify asking you for that, so you should be okay.
Yep the £2,300 is the sfe payment and not a request for more. They will already have that.
The uni regulations will show in terms of liability how term fees are calculated and the dates you leave by. I agree its highly unlikely the uni as asking for term 2s money as well. The easiest way to clarify is just ask finance or check the fee liability page.
Amy.johnson707
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Are you a fresher?
How many years have you been in HE including foundations and other degree courses?

I am not really seeing the merit in your appeal? Its not their fault that your father is in an unfortunate condition and you have attended the first term?
Furthermore, as it was via student finance, then the debt will just go to your long term student debt account, which most people never pay off anyway.

Think of it like this. You go to McDonalds and buy a meal. The meal is low quality after you have eaten some of it. You have still had the meal.
If you want to try and claim for the poor meal then it would be by either 1. The complaints system , - ending at the OIA or 2. Tasking them to court.
The former can be long, but unis tend not to want to pay any money. You would need to persevere. The latter would be under the Consumer Rights Act, but students have avoided making such claims. Ask your SU.

I believe your chances of winning are low, unless there was a lot more evidence of poor behaviour from them. Lack of sympathy I dont think will meet any such target.

The other way is a claim through compelling personal reasons if your student finance entitlement becomes difficult and you do not have enough finance left to cover a course. That claim is to SFE. Be sure to get the official withdrawal form and have it signed plus ideally a counsellor or GP letter that you are leaving due to the stress of uni and to look after your dad. Put those documents in a safe place.

You can also apply for up to 60 days discretionary payment from sfe.
They have told me I am liable for the £2300. They first semester has been paid to the uni via student finance.
It's nothing like eating half of McDonald's. At all. There has been multiple issues with the teaching, like not beinf taught one module for 2 weeks, not marking the students as attending when we have been (we have to have 80% attendance minimum to pass), not helping secure placements which are extremely hard to secure at the moment, no support when I ask about certain subjects relating to module work, not replying to emails. The list goes on. Don't know about others but I strongly disagree that the level of teaching is worth £9250 a year.
You've worded your response extremely insensitive. Life happens and bad things happen meaning some people have no option but to leave. My fathers, sudden, illness and me having to move 3 hours away to support him is not something that can be helped.
Amy.johnson707
Rep:
?
So they didn't expect you to pay any extra? They're telling me I'm liable to pay an extra 25% because im dropping out early.
Its ridiculous! Ive paid for the teaching I've received so far, which has been awful to be honest
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So they didn't expect you to pay any extra? They're telling me I'm liable to pay an extra 25% because im dropping out early.
Its ridiculous! Ive paid for the teaching I've received so far, which has been awful to be honest
Nope, the student finance payments are 25% at the start of term 1, 25% at the start of term 2, and 50% in term 3. Since I left before the start of term 2 (unis define the exact date of that differently so check with your uni) I was only liable for the first 25%, which was paid through the student loan.
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
They have told me I am liable for the £2300. They first semester has been paid to the uni via student finance.
It's nothing like eating half of McDonald's. At all. There has been multiple issues with the teaching, like not beinf taught one module for 2 weeks, not marking the students as attending when we have been (we have to have 80% attendance minimum to pass), not helping secure placements which are extremely hard to secure at the moment, no support when I ask about certain subjects relating to module work, not replying to emails. The list goes on. Don't know about others but I strongly disagree that the level of teaching is worth £9250 a year.
You've worded your response extremely insensitive. Life happens and bad things happen meaning some people have no option but to leave. My fathers, sudden, illness and me having to move 3 hours away to support him is not something that can be helped.
Actually I thought I put effort in to give you a clear and comprehensive answer as to what your legal position is and how student finance works.
My advice is still good and considering it was given freely and with the best intentions, then I am not prepared to enter into an argument over it.
Your argument is with the university and I was trying to show you the way. NVM.

You are better off seeing an adviser or a lawyer in real life, who will explain the merits of your case. GL.
Amy.johnson707
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Actually I thought I put effort in to give you a clear and comprehensive answer as to what your legal position is and how student finance works.
My advice is still good and considering it was given freely and with the best intentions, then I am not prepared to enter into an argument over it.
Your argument is with the university and I was trying to show you the way. NVM.

You are better off seeing an adviser or a lawyer in real life, who will explain the merits of your case. GL.
I have already stated that my first semester has been paid, in full. So with this being the case why exactly are they expecting me to pay for teaching I won't be there for? Therefore not receiving. The McDonalds argument isnt relevant because I won't have recieved "the goods".
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have already stated that my first semester has been paid, in full. So with this being the case why exactly are they expecting me to pay for teaching I won't be there for? Therefore not receiving. The McDonalds argument isnt relevant because I won't have recieved "the goods".
What are they saying the £2300 is for? The second semester?
Amy.johnson707
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
What are they saying the £2300 is for? The second semester?
I'm not actually sure. They just said the liability I will have to pay is that amount. I've emailed finance to ask for a clearer picture.
Is this usual that they ask you to pay for a semester you will no longer be a student for?
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not actually sure. They just said the liability I will have to pay is that amount. I've emailed finance to ask for a clearer picture.
Is this usual that they ask you to pay for a semester you will no longer be a student for?
Typically they would ask for e.g. semester 2's tuition fees if you have started semester 2 (even by a single day). To ask for it in advance is quite unusual if you don't intend to stay past December. It's definitely worth asking for a detailed invoice about what that money is for.
Amy.johnson707
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone, with the helpful replies and who actually read my post.

As I've explained in my post, I have paid for the first semester which ends 18th December. I was misinformed by the university and I will not owe any money if I withdraw before semester 2. So nothing like eating a McDonalds and then asking for my money back 🙃

Thanks again
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks everyone, with the helpful replies and who actually read my post.

As I've explained in my post, I have paid for the first semester which ends 18th December. I was misinformed by the university and I will not owe any money if I withdraw before semester 2. So nothing like eating a McDonalds and then asking for my money back 🙃

Thanks again
That's good, I thought that must be the case. Glad you got it sorted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.63%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise