Why is it so isolating to follow the rules???

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Having just started at a top uni I expected people to be more dedicated than they are. People don't seem to care about being late to seminars and tutorials. They also, with covid, don't seem to mind meeting up in big groups or in other peoples rooms, which is not allowed. I find myself getting so anxious if I'm running late to anything or if I'm involved in rule breaking and I find it so uncomfortable even walking around town with a group of people (since it's not allowed in lockdown 2). However, I feel like I won't make any friends and people will hate me for wanting to follow the rules if I try to tell them to leave earlier or that I'm not comfortable hanging out in a big group.
The problem is it seems like everyone is happy to break the rules etc, so is it just me who is bothered about following them? and should I try to relax about it more?
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly people dont even care. Well done for following the rules and caring about other people- you are the role model that people should look up to. Others who break the rules will face a lot of consequences
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
being late to things doesn't mean you don't care. some people find it hard to be on time due to mental or physical conditions. or they just are chiller people. also, about lockdown: if they're not living with people they will put at harm, i frankly couldn't care less. it's been 8 months.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
being late to things doesn't mean you don't care. some people find it hard to be on time due to mental or physical conditions. or they just are chiller people. also, about lockdown: if they're not living with people they will put at harm, i frankly couldn't care less. it's been 8 months.
hmm, good point. But on the other hand maybe part of the reason why covid has been so bad is partly due to all those people who haven't been following the rules
tashkent46
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Peer pressure.

Being late does not mean they do not take it seriously.

People have a difficult time following a law that is 'remote' and is not being enforced. If it were enforced they would stay at home, but since it is not they see no real harm in it even though logically they are smart enough to know the damage being done.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Please please please keep following the COVID rules, it’s the people that don’t care that cause the death of over 200 people daily. It’s so horrific and selfish of them, and I can’t understand it. I know it’s hard when everyone else doesn’t seem to care but by you following the rules you might save lives and that’s what matters. This COVID thing has been horrific but it has shown to me the real selfish people who couldn’t care less about others and choose to put them at risk because ‘they can’t be bothered’
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can only worry about yourself, a lot of people will feel these 'whatever' students are grade A holes in hindsight.

TBH people being late used to piss me off too, but that was more me. I had to get up at 5am to commute to uni and was always in my lecture 5 mins early, so seeing people who stay 5 mins walk away slouch in mid lecture at 10am yawning and clattering about did annoy me a bit, but as others have said, I don't know why their late and I shouldn't jump to assumptions unless i'm happy being treated the same for mistakes.
*****deadness
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's their problem if they want to risk catching corona or be late, the problem is whether you can stand them or the other way round. I can only comment on how other people look at you, which is nothing really since being on time and keeping yourself safe from corona is perfectly fine, probably with everyone. Whether you can handle other people breaking rules for their own consequences though is up to you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (51)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (78)
28.16%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (102)
36.82%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (36)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.61%

Watched Threads