Liv0601102
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I finished my uni applications, and put all my uni choices into my UCAS and then found out that my predicted grades are ABB (and B for welsh bacc) now most of my uni choices entry requirements are AAB (and i’m pretty confident I could get AAB). I’m applying for biological sciences, and i’m wondering how much less likely I am to get an offer if my predicted grades are a little to low? Should I switch some of my choices? (right now 2 choices are ABB and the rest are AAB)
FatYikes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should talk to your teachers and ask if they think you could bump up one grade/change your predicted grades, especially if you are confident you can get AAB.

Having said that, its probably a wise decision to have at least one choice which is below your predicted grades as a safe choice. You would probably want to switch one of the AAB courses to one which is more like BBB. Having said this, I don't think you need to make any drastic changes, after all its good to aim high and universities are generally being more flexible because of the coronavirus.

Good luck!
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should be okay - Bio Sciences is not a high-demand course and many Unis will consider you 'one grade below' - this does not guarantee you an offer of course but its unlikely you'll get an immediate rejection. I'd stick with your original choices.
Tashax2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Liv0601102)
I finished my uni applications, and put all my uni choices into my UCAS and then found out that my predicted grades are ABB (and B for welsh bacc) now most of my uni choices entry requirements are AAB (and i’m pretty confident I could get AAB). I’m applying for biological sciences, and i’m wondering how much less likely I am to get an offer if my predicted grades are a little to low? Should I switch some of my choices? (right now 2 choices are ABB and the rest are AAB)
I think have at least 2-3 that are ABB 1-2 AAB then 1 below
Liv0601102
Rep:
?
(Original post by FatYikes)
You should talk to your teachers and ask if they think you could bump up one grade/change your predicted grades, especially if you are confident you can get AAB.

Having said that, its probably a wise decision to have at least one choice which is below your predicted grades as a safe choice. You would probably want to switch one of the AAB courses to one which is more like BBB. Having said this, I don't think you need to make any drastic changes, after all its good to aim high and universities are generally being more flexible because of the coronavirus.

Good luck!
Thanks for replying
Ive switched one of my courses to one with lower requirements. I think i’m going to keep the other two AAB, although my tutor told me there’s no point. Do you think i’m being stupid keeping some AAB, it’s just I like the courses there and seen as my predicted is just 1 grade off I thought they’d at least consider it ?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for replying
Ive switched one of my courses to one with lower requirements. I think i’m going to keep the other two AAB, although my tutor told me there’s no point. Do you think i’m being stupid keeping some AAB, it’s just I like the courses there and seen as my predicted is just 1 grade off I thought they’d at least consider it ?
The first thing to look at is whether the universities you are looking at accept the Wels Bacc because several in England dont. If they accept it then you should be fine. Most universities will accept a one grade drop on a predicted grade and make offers. The vast majority will accept you with dropped grades in your A levels as well but that is not guaranteed. For that reason it might be adviseable to have at least one BBB choice. Where are you applying to.
Liv0601102
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
The first thing to look at is whether the universities you are looking at accept the Wels Bacc because several in England dont. If they accept it then you should be fine. Most universities will accept a one grade drop on a predicted grade and make offers. The vast majority will accept you with dropped grades in your A levels as well but that is not guaranteed. For that reason it might be adviseable to have at least one BBB choice. Where are you applying to.
Exeter, Cardiff, York, Liverpool and i’m now trying to decide between Keele or Qmul for my last choice.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exeter, Cardiff, York, Liverpool and i’m now trying to decide between Keele or Qmul for my last choice.
Check QMUL London universities sometimes dont accept Welsh Bacc. As far as I am aware Exeter, Cardiff and Liverpool do. I dont know about York or Keele but imagine they do. Have you thought about Exeter's Penryn Campus. They tend to offer lower grades there. It is a long way down and in a small place but if your looking at Keele it would be similar. Also are you entitled to contextual offers. Many areas and schools in Wales are.
Liv0601102
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Check QMUL London universities sometimes dont accept Welsh Bacc. As far as I am aware Exeter, Cardiff and Liverpool do. I dont know about York or Keele but imagine they do. Have you thought about Exeter's Penryn Campus. They tend to offer lower grades there. It is a long way down and in a small place but if your looking at Keele it would be similar. Also are you entitled to contextual offers. Many areas and schools in Wales are.
I’m going to look into it. Thanks so much for replying it’s really helpful
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m going to look into it. Thanks so much for replying it’s really helpful
If you go into the Bristol university admissions page for any subject they have boxes showing schools and post codes they use for contextual offers which I believe is the same info Exeter use
Liv0601102
Rep:
?
I just got an offer from one of my AAB uni’s offering me a place as long as I get BBB so I guess I was stressing over nothing
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aberystwyth also does Contextual offers by school - https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/undergrad/...extual-offers/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads