Bubblegum12309
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
What do you guys think about using ‘my revision notes’ by hodder education for politics (edexcel) and history (Stuart Britain and revolution and dictatorship: Russia)
G_Vet2911
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey is this for edexcel ? I do Stuart Britain and Russia in Revolution (idk if that's different to the one you mentioned) and have found that the my revision notes lacks detail and over summarises key events. I use the 'Revolutions in early modern and modern Europe' by Allan White, Daniel Nuttall, et. It includes both Britain and Russia and gives way more detail, maybe too much, but when making resources i just pick out the facts i think are most relevant. If it helps i'm in year 13 and have gotten an A in my mocks and an A in every essay i've done this year, which i would have struggled to do with the my revision notes, but then again the difference between getting an A and getting a C is the essay technique rather then including specific content, so if you can't afford the book i recommended, i'm sure you could still do well, it just made be a bit harder.
I don't do politics, hope this helps
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Ge0rg1a1092)
Hey is this for edexcel ? I do Stuart Britain and Russia in Revolution (idk if that's different to the one you mentioned) and have found that the my revision notes lacks detail and over summarises key events.
Care to give an example? I've always thought that revision notes aren't meant to be full to the brim with detail anyway.
G_Vet2911
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Tolgash)
Care to give an example? I've always thought that revision notes aren't meant to be full to the brim with detail anyway.
The questions you answer can be specific, e.g 'how accurate is it to say Charles I's personal rule (1629-40) was a financial success' , which means you cannot include events from 1625-1628 and 1641-1701. In addition, 3 out of the 5 topics won't be relevant to the question. This means the content you can use to answer the question has been significantly narrowed down and the my revision notes limits this further.

For example if you wanted to talk about the cloth trade, my revision notes talks about it employing 200,000 workers and the idea that it spread, so you could only write one paragraph talking vaguely about growth.
Whereas in the other book, the section on cloth trade gives facts about it being economically prosperous, facts about it growing the domestic system and facts about it growing Dutch immigration. These three sections could be used to make three different points and so three different paragraphs in the essay.
Although the book i recommended is more of a textbook. I have used this to make my own revision resources that are as concise as the revision book, but include a broader range of facts and perspectives, so i'm not learning loads more, i'm just being selective on what i learn

The textbook also includes essay examples of a an average versus strong answer and advice - which is a bonus.

It is based on a personal preference as I also used a book from the same company for GCSE and received a grade 9 and currently only me and two other students in my class are consistently getting A's and we all have used the textbook over the my revision notes.

This is all based on personal experience tho and depends on what grade you are aiming for, as i said i'm sure you could still do well with the my revision notes
Bubblegum12309
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Ge0rg1a1092)
Hey is this for edexcel ? I do Stuart Britain and Russia in Revolution (idk if that's different to the one you mentioned) and have found that the my revision notes lacks detail and over summarises key events. I use the 'Revolutions in early modern and modern Europe' by Allan White, Daniel Nuttall, et. It includes both Britain and Russia and gives way more detail, maybe too much, but when making resources i just pick out the facts i think are most relevant. If it helps i'm in year 13 and have gotten an A in my mocks and an A in every essay i've done this year, which i would have struggled to do with the my revision notes, but then again the difference between getting an A and getting a C is the essay technique rather then including specific content, so if you can't afford the book i recommended, i'm sure you could still do well, it just made be a bit harder.
Thanks for your reply!
It’s actually for AQA not Edexcel but I’ve too realised that my revision notes lacks a HUGE amount of detail so I’m going to try to find other revision sources - I’ve found one for Stuart Britain but I’m still trying to find one for Russia (it’s ‘revolution and dictatorship: Russia’ not ‘revolution in Russia’) - I think they’re 2 different topics. And you’re right, it’s the essay technique that counts! Congrats on your A’s!!!
sariebear
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by G_Vet2911)
Does this textbook include Britain 1625-1701?
G_Vet2911
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sariebear)
Does this textbook include Britain 1625-1701?
yes it does
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (45)
40.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
18.92%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.41%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
9.01%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.11%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.21%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
10.81%

Watched Threads